Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT 188 Front graph not working

First time front graph would not work day of tournament. Checked block under trolling motor and showed 12 volts. Powered up when I hooked to jumper battery. Ran 2 wires straight to battery to get through the day . Hopefully figure out today back home.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

2. Member
    Finally have time to look at the boat. Front trim switch not working also. All fuses good , power to block graph plugs into. Graph works with wires hooked to battery. How do you know if front trim switch is bad? Cannot figure out why graph will not power up. Stumped. Any RT owners have a similar problem?
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Are you checking for presence of voltage with a digital volt meter? If so try testing with a test light.
    if there is a poor connection in the circuit, a DVM may show voltage because it does not provide enough load to show up the poor connection. A test light will load the circuit and cause any poor connection to fail and not light up.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Used digital, shows voltage . Will check with test light tomorrow. Thanks. Lights right up with jumper battery. Also bow trim switch has 12 volts going to it, so it must be the switch.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

5. Member
    Depth finder should have a 3amp online fuse, that might be bad.

6. Member
    Has 12 volts on terminal it plugs into, does not work, Hook to jumper battery works. Back out to garage today. Thanks for responding.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Like Bill said, can show voltage, but not have the amps. I have been hood winked by that a few time!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

I modified my test light by adding a replaceable ring terminal to the lead. To check for presence of voltage, I attach the ring terminal to the negative battery post to insure I have a good ground path. I can now walk around the boat to check for voltage without pulling the alligator clip loose.
    In your example, I would stretch the light probe to the front of the boat and touch it to the wire that brings voltage to the connection block. If it lights up, we know for sure voltage is there and the other terminals on the + buss bar will have voltage.
    If voltage is there and items connected to the connection block will not power up I become suspicious of the ground side of the circuit. To test it, I change the ring terminal on the battery to the positive terminal and touch the probe to the black (negative) wire on the connection block. The probe will light up if there is a good ground path back to the battery.

This method accurately verifies presence of voltage (or not) and circuit integrity.
    (Ignore the round jumper set, they are not part of this discussion)

9. Member
    Works when hooked under dash, probably just run 2 wires and call it a day. thanks.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Are you checking for presence of voltage with a digital volt meter? If so try testing with a test light.
    if there is a poor connection in the circuit, a DVM may show voltage because it does not provide enough load to show up the poor connection. A test light will load the circuit and cause any poor connection to fail and not light up.
    Tried this and it lights up, still does not work.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

11. Member
    Anybody run wires back to dash or battery on a rt188? Advice?
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

12. Member
    I ran some wiring from bow to console by pulling the fuse block out (remove two screws and pull it forward) under the console and running a snake through there up to the bow. Once I got the wires pulled back to console, I finagled them through the wiring harness boot under dash/console.
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

13. Member
    Will give it a try, picking up a steel fish tape tomorrow. Thanks.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

14. Member
    Pull the cupholder out above shifter and you will see the steering cable and stuff down in there and will help you getting wiring back to battery.
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

15. Member
    Thanks, will try later today.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

There is a 6 gauge wire that brings power from the load side of the main breaker to the fuse block. Attaching at the connector block shown will save you pulling wire from the bilge.
    There is a negative buss attached to the top under side of the console to which you could attach a new negative wire.
    BTW: There are several reported instances of the nut inside the connection block being loose from the factory causing all sorts of intermittent power loses.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I ran some wiring from bow to console by pulling the fuse block out (remove two screws and pull it forward) under the console and running a snake through there up to the bow. Once I got the wires pulled back to console, I finagled them through the wiring harness boot under dash/console.
    Back in business, used steel tape to run wires all the way to battery. This is exactly how I ran the tape. Thanks to all who responded, was a big help.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

18. Member
    Been running two graphs on front of my last two boats ... On my 188 had both hooked to the power bar under bow and got to watching the voltage read out on my Garmin was only showing 9+ volts with my Hummingbird running at the same time . Talked to a buddy of mine who works for Basscat and is a wiz at everything marine Electronics and He told me that most everyone ( specially the big time bass guys ) run dedicated wires ( 10 gage ) to their front electronics anymore! SO when I had dealer rig my last boat I had them do just that. Now the voltage read out on my Garmin is pretty steady in the high 11s and no noticeable draw down when both units are running .

19. Member
    Not sure why my power bar quit running my graph, had voltage. Now hooked straight to battery.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

20. Member
    Thank You for this I have a 198 and experiencing the same problems I have the new wire just need to cool of a little bit before I run the wire ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast