Thread: Steering cables

Steering cables

I guess this is a good place to post.
    My steering wheel is getting very hard to turn.
    Any tips on loosening the cables up a little?

'99 Champion, w/ 150 Fast Strike.
    Thanks

2. Banned
    Could be a couple things.
    1) Steering cable tubes on motor may be "gummed" up from dirt and old grease. Pull cables out from engine tubes(may have to un- bolt and lift motor off transom to get cable ends out of tubes.) Once cables are out of the tubes, turn steering wheel and see if the steering works freely. If it does, clean inside of tubes and ends with a shot gun barrel cleaning wire brush and penetrating oil, clean the cable ends and lube with a light coating of lithium grease and reinstall.

2) Cables are old, rusted and/or frayed.. If they are, it's best (and safest) to just replace them with new cables for a few hundred bucks. Or,,, replace the system with hydraulic steering ($1,000+)

If you gotta replace the cables then Seriously consider hydraulic. Check out SearStar and Uflex
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

4. Member
    With a 150 I wouldn't spend money on the sea star system. The bay star is rated for 150 and less, and much cheaper than the sea star, and close to the same cost to replace two rack and pinion cables, those suckers aren't cheap.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

I have a SeaStar system on my 2003 Stratos, love it. I installed a SeaStar Pro on my son in laws 93 Javelin, love it. I have a BayStar system on my 2020 Tritoon with a 140 Suzuki, love it and don't see a big difference between the baystar cylinder and the Seastar. But the tritoon is not a performance boat.
    I've had such good luck with the seastar I'd stay with it on a bass boat
    Just saying
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    I have a SeaStar system on my 2003 Stratos, love it. I installed a SeaStar Pro on my son in laws 93 Javelin, love it. I have a BayStar system on my 2020 Tritoon with a 140 Suzuki, love it and don't see a big difference between the baystar cylinder and the Seastar. But the tritoon is not a performance boat.
    I've had such good luck with the seastar I'd stay with it on a bass boat
    Just saying

It's all in the hoses, a little in the help. Burst pressure, PSI, all that good stuff.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

7. Member
    Do you know how long your cables are?

8. Member
    I contacted BayStar and they said they would not recommend their system for my 150 since it's at the top of the rating, but you are correct. I need new cables also but can't afford the cost of the SeaStar Hydraulic. I'm reinstalling a NFB rack/pinion system and will see how it performs. Fingers crossed.