Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Lots of guys do fine driving a base Camry back and forth to work every day too …
    Some guys decide they want a better performance vehicle that’s faster and handles better.
    Too each is own …
    One things for sure … Never tell someone how to spend their hard earned money.
    They are entitled to spend it as they wish.
    Ooofff. Got him right there. Never take away a man's ability to provide or what he does with that hard earned provided money. I'll throw my opinion in the hat though and give another one to Expride. I also have a Megabass and it's great but slightly specialized. I have the Jerkbait special, but I could also see it as a great TX Rig Rod.
    Last edited by Theolbug; 12-28-2021 at 04:46 PM.

2. Member
    In my opinion (I’m a rod builder), $300 is the price point where rods can start getting exceptionally good. It doesn’t mean a $600 rod is twice as good as a $300 rod, but a $300 rod can be a big gap from a $150 rod. Does it make you a better fisherman? Of course not! But for those that can afford it and want to enjoy their sport with equipment that helps them enjoy it more, to each their own.

You think bass fishermen are crazy? Take a look at fly fishermen. They consider $900 the entry point on rods before you start to get serious.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    In my opinion (I’m a rod builder), $300 is the price point where rods can start getting exceptionally good. It doesn’t mean a $600 rod is twice as good as a $300 rod, but a $300 rod can be a big gap from a $150 rod. Does it make you a better fisherman? Of course not! But for those that can afford it and want to enjoy their sport with equipment that helps them enjoy it more, to each their own.

You think bass fishermen are crazy? Take a look at fly fishermen. They consider $900 the entry point on rods before you start to get serious.
    True. my $300 Douglas rod is a good starter rod whereas I bought my son a $180 rod to learn with as I knew it wouldn't matter that much if he messed it up. I currently fish dry flies with an NRX 5-weight which is just about mid price level in sensitivity and action.

and all my rods are 4 piece...

For bottom contact I still use older Kistlers, But they lost me over the handles and warr and the ever changing blanks
    I've tried the NRX's and the Dodyns HP's. While the build is nice the older Kistlers are miles apart

Pick a company or 2 and try a few. Or find one to try or borrow
    I will say, the lighter the rod usually there more sensitive. And for 300 you should get a damn good rod

5. Member
    Fx custom rods. Check ‘em out! I have fished with them all. Glx, st croix, dobyns, alx. Trust me

6. Member
    I was dragging 1/4 and 3/8oz footballs in 35+ft this winter on my Expride 72ML - first time using that rod for bottom contact...and no, not as sensitive as my Steez AGS but, more than sensitive enough to feel dying veg, mud - sand -rock transitions, chunk rock, boulders - and most importantly, mushy winter smallie bites.

I don't think anyone would suffer missed bites if they were forced to use a suite of Exprides, and whenever Shimano updates that line they better plan for 5x the current production bc they will sell out from day 1.

I’ll stick with SC Legend Tournament rods.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    I think you would be surprised how many anglers spend $500 on rods
    $300 is an entry level bottom contact rod
    I've been in the tackle industry for over 40 years, working for some of the leading tackle manufacturers. I can assure you that all of the top-end rod companies combined don't sell anywhere near a million $300+ rods. The only rod that has ever approached those kind of sales numbers is the Ugly Stik. The people that spend more than $100 or so on a rod represent a small percentage of the fishing public.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    My 6’8” MH Legend Tournament is my favorite Jig rod I own. Love it and plenty sensitive for me.

These are being eliminated in 2022. I had a bunch of the blue st. croixs for awhile. Sensitive but tip heavy. I find the Expride to be a much better balanced and more sensitive rod.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    These are being eliminated in 2022. I had a bunch of the blue st. croixs for awhile. Sensitive but tip heavy. I find the Expride to be a much better balanced and more sensitive rod.
    what would you recommend for expride 3/& to 1/2 oz jig rod?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    I'm expecting the new Legend Tournaments to be better balance wise, sensitivity and lighter. We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    what would you recommend for expride 3/& to 1/2 oz jig rod?
    76H

14. Member
    IMHO...if there are bones being thrown in for the Adrena then I'll loose a hound in the hunt as well, although my personal assessment is that the ALX Enox should definitely be in the conversation.

New dog in the hunt: Legit Design Model: Wild Side

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    I'm expecting the new Legend Tournaments to be better balance wise, sensitivity and lighter. We'll see
    Is there a redesign of the Legend Tournament in the works? Have 12 at last count with doubles of some. Admittedly, the longer TBCs are a little too tip heavy. I’ve always stuck with 7+ ounce reels on my Legends to give a more balanced feel. They’re exceptional rods.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    Is there a redesign of the Legend Tournament in the works? Have 12 at last count with doubles of some. Admittedly, the longer TBCs are a little too tip heavy. I’ve always stuck with 7+ ounce reels on my Legends to give a more balanced feel. They’re exceptional rods.
    Yes redesign on the way. Should see some info around the classic.

17. Member
    My vote is a Diawa Tatula AGS
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

18. Member
    Well, we all know sensitivity is very subjective. For me the LT"s are contenders for least sensitive over 250!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234