Strike Indicator

Do you guys use them when pan fishing?
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

On a fly rod? Rarely. I tied some craft fur clouser type minnows on jig hooks for crappie to use under a fly rod bobber thing. I only use them if they are no more than 3-4’ deep and over sticks. Otherwise, no. Some guys do the popper/dropper thing but I normally need to get 6-8’ down for bream of any decent size. One thing that helps me a lot is a sharpie mark about 20’ up the line from the leader. Gives me something to focus on and I see those little taps easier.

If I’m soaking worms, heck yeah! The cheap styrofoam ones with the spring on them. I love watching a bobber disappear.

3. Member
    Thanks for the sharpie idea.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

4. Moderator
    I never use one. I like to watch the connection of my leader and line. If it jerks or starts going the wrong way I know I have a fish. Dropper rig may be something for you to try. Floating fly on top with a sinking fly below.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I never use one. I like to watch the connection of my leader and line. If it jerks or starts going the wrong way I know I have a fish. Dropper rig may be something for you to try. Floating fly on top with a sinking fly below.
    I plan on fishing for Blue Gill and in my mind, I saw it as doing the same thing I do with my ultralight rig. I do plan on fishing some sort of sinking presentation and was just curious how you guys do it. So now I'm thinking just watch the line or feel the strike as I'm stripping back in.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

I use sink tips for bream in the summer and found that the little turds can grab it and all I see is a slight twitch. That’s why I went with the line mark. Even with a floating line, i’m using furled leaders that sink and my connection isn’t visible.

It’s super helpful for crappie that just inhale it as it sinks and not move. If the line does anything not ‘normal’ I hit it. It’s helped me send a lot more of them into the deep fryer. There’s that moment when you ask ‘is that a fish?’ I say that a lot less now.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I use sink tips for bream in the summer and found that the little turds can grab it and all I see is a slight twitch. That’s why I went with the line mark. Even with a floating line, i’m using furled leaders that sink and my connection isn’t visible.

It’s super helpful for crappie that just inhale it as it sinks and not move. If the line does anything not ‘normal’ I hit it. It’s helped me send a lot more of them into the deep fryer. There’s that moment when you ask ‘is that a fish?’ I say that a lot less now.
    Okay I just looked up sink tips and I can see how that would work along with marking your line.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16