NRX+ 872S or 852S

Looking to purchase my first NRX. I wanted one in the past but didn't like the reel seat but now they look pretty awesome with new conquest reel seat and a lot less of the blue wraps as well. I am stuck between the 852S and 872S. I'm mostly a bank angler/kayak but may purchase a boat in next few years. I fish alot of plastics on the bottom light Texas rigs and shaky heads (1/8-1/4 max) love kvd game hawgs, rage/zoom lizards, robo and strike king worms, and craws all tex-posed. Also throw small fish head spins and jig head spark shads/rage swimmers a good bit.

My current line up(all spinning) is:
    Megabass Orochi XX Shaky Head 7'
    Megabass Orochi XX Ronin 6'8"
    St. Croix Legend Elite 6'10" Medium Extra Fast
    St Croix Victory 7'1" Medium Fast
    Few other Abus and Ugly Stick Elites as spares

I like the feel of all the rods I have above BUT the St. Croix Legend Elite is not a good casting rod with lighter weights like 1/8 or even 3/16(rated 3/16-5/8) due to the stiffness of the rod I think. The NRX+ will most likely be replacing it or the Orochi Shaky head rod in the line up. I'm leaning more towards the 872S because of what I've read here and other forums that it's a better caster than the 852S but wondering if the tip of the 872S will be able to penetrate with tex-posed plastics. Also can anyone recommend where I can get the best price on it if you don't want to post here please pm me being my most expensive rod purchase would like any discount I can get.
    Last edited by WPrich; 08-13-2021 at 08:54 PM.

2. Member
    I wish I could tell you. I ordered the 872s (and the 883 BJR), and wound up being sent the wrong rod. I shipped the wrong one back, asked for my 872s...they were sold out. No 872s anywhere, so I settled for an 852s. That said, It really is a good feeling rod. I'll be using it this weekend for throwing small 2.8 and 3.3 keitechs, maybe underspins, on small 1/8-3/16oz heads or possibly a shaky head. I really don't think you could go wrong with either. I just wanted a little extra distance on my casts.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

3. Member
    The 852 is great for the bottom baits you mentioned and for largemouth. It’s the rod you want for say skipping a senko under docks.

The 872 I find is a better rod for smallmouth and the moving baits you mention. Though it excels for bottom baits for smallmouth as it has more give for light lines and had charges at the boat.

id lean towards the 872 if more open water. Cover I’d go 852
    Nitro z21

4. Member
    I own both rods and I prefer the 872 over the 852. It has a little more tip.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    The 852 is great for the bottom baits you mentioned and for largemouth. It’s the rod you want for say skipping a senko under docks.

The 872 I find is a better rod for smallmouth and the moving baits you mention. Though it excels for bottom baits for smallmouth as it has more give for light lines and had charges at the boat.

id lean towards the 872 if more open water. Cover I’d go 852
    Man seems like the 852S is the one for me but I got it programmed in my head a need for the 872S instead. I fish mostly shallowish rocky lakes for spots/largemouth but most our lakes are overrun with aggressive spots. I plan to rig whichever rod with 10/12 pound braid and 8/10 pound sniper leader so not really light line. I think the main concern I have is casting and how much I'd lose with the 852S vs 872S since majority of the time I'm on the bank.

6. Member
    Rocks? 872
    Nitro z21

7. Member
    I have both and the 872 is hands down the best all around spinning rod I've ever put my hands on. They are a special stick for sure

Quote Originally Posted by PaRiverRat View Post
    I have both and the 872 is hands down the best all around spinning rod I've ever put my hands on. They are a special stick for sure
    I agree with this statement. I even use my 852s for fan casting a 1/4 oz drop shot, 872s for 3/8 oz fan casting drop shot. I really haven’t found a spinning technique I can’t handle with these two rods.

9. Member
    I think I'm going to just wait for the next round of 872S models to show up at shops. Thanks for all the replies guys really helped me with the decision.

These new NRX still have the recoil guides?
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    These new NRX still have the recoil guides?
    Yeah the new NRX+ still has recoils for some of the guides on it.

872S if you want a little softer tip and a little more power

13. Member
    Ended up picking up a 852S and I also ordered a 872S which will be shipped once in stock hopefully soon according to the retailer. Took the 852S out yesterday to a lake for few hours that I hadn't fished in around 12 years since my usual lake was getting rained on all morning. Didn't expect much luck and ended up only catching one little largemouth and a catfish but it was mainly just a day to see how the NRX and the other rods I've bought recently felt to me. I was surprised how far I could cast a 1/8 shaky head with a 4.5" roboworm on the 852S. I used 12# hi-vis SX1 with a 8# sunline sniper leader and was getting it out pretty far but will say the sunline was noisy in the recoil guides. The one bass I caught was a weird feeling can't say what it felt like it just felt different and just I set and had him on and it was a pretty short fight. Got another bite or 2 earlier that I believe may have been aggressive bluegills picking at my worms/lizards. All in all can't wait to really test this rod and the 872S out more once the weather really cools down here in the south.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPrich;[URL="tel:12088925"
    12088925[/URL]]All in all can't wait to really test this rod and the 872S out more once the weather really cools down here in the south.
    Looking forward to seeing a side by side, I’m considering those two as well

15. Member
    I have the non plus versions and they are my two most used spinning rods. The 872 is slightly longer and casts light baits like tubes really well. The 852 I use for shaky, drop shot, small Keitechs etc. Both great. Nuances really due to the length difference are in casting and perhaps line size. I go just a touch lighter on the 872.
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.