Added drains to floor

My side drains kept getting clogged so the floor would not drain. I did everything from put a pressure washer hose in each to blow them out to electrical fish tape in to use as a small plumber snake to adding screen wire under the seat pan to block leaves acorns etc from getting in (when the boat is not covered...ie when it got wet waiting for it to dry...no garage). Cutting the carpet away from the drain was step 1 BTW which did not do anything.

I decided to buy 3....1" hole drains off amazon. I drilled one in the center next to seat pan and the other 2 just in front of the seats in the floor spaced out evenly. The one in the center there was no foam. The ones on the sides there is foam. If the foam they used is NOT closed cell foam I just messed up because there is not an easy way to plumb thru it to the bildge. I will close these 2 off on the sides until I find out so not to get water logged foam. The center just goes straight into the bilge so no worries.

Does anyone know if Triton used closed cell foam in 2001???

Can you see the foam itself? If you can, touch it. Is it hard to the touch? If the answer is yes then it is closed cell foam.

You may be hard pressed to find open cell foam in most boats simply because closed cell by nature tends to have a greater density than open cell which makes it a superior sound deadener and less likely to absorb the water if you ever have a breach of the hull or forget to put the plug in.

Being that you own a Triton boat I am more inclined to believe that you have closed cell foam simply due to the fact that Triton has always been one of the more premier aluminum and fiberglass bass boat builders (especially true in the aluminum arena).
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

When I drilled 2 of the holes foam was there. I dug out what I could down and back to try to hit the open bilge area but couldn't. It is spongy as foam is. All I can say.

4. Member
    Take the seat out, and power wash the area underneath ! I had same/similar issue with my 99 ! When I took the seat out, there all kinds of sludge, and old leaves in the way for the water to drain out ! I went as far as taking the tank out and cleaning the bilge are there also ! No more problems !

tank was very well glued in when I recarpeted. I did everything from what you said Mike, to drain snakes, to adding wire mesh under seat pan to keep debris from getting in there. Nothing solved it. Drains did.

6. Member
    Just a reply on what worked for me ! Glad you got it straightened out though !

7. Member
    I had a 2001 TR20 Like ten years ago. I was having the same problem with water draining. I called Triton and talked to some one there and they told me that I could drill a 3" hold in the floor 4" ahead of the seat step and center it. So I did and it worked Great. The boat emptied out FAST. Now I have a 2007 21 trx2 and want to do the same thing but I can't get a answer about the fuel tank being there.