AT powered with Dewalt battery

Ordered the AT and want to see how many have used a Dewalt lithium battery as the power source. How do you like it? How long does it last? Any changes you would make? Did you put an on/off switch to it? Still use the fuse? Etc. As I read about this option I saw a Seelite adapter and thought it looked promising but wanted some insight from people who have it wired this way. Oh yeah, can the red power wire and yellow wake up wire be twisted together and go to the dewalt?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Member
    My buddy is using it on Garmin Livesight and it works flawlessly. I have a AT and just have it running to my cranking battery. There seems to be no difference in quality. He simply plugs and plays. It works for about 5 hours and then he plugs in another battery. Not sure how it would work with the red/yellow wires though.
    2019 Skeeter FX-21
    250 SHO
    Lowrance 16” Live & 12” Live
    Ghost TM

I tried it on my Garmin LiveScope and was pleased with the result. I placed the module and battery in my front starboard locker without losing space for other items. However, I store soft things here like life jackets towels etc.
    I get 5 to 5 1/2 hours on a 6 AH 20 volt battery so I keep a spare in the locker and change them out as needed.
    I prefer this adapter because it has two fused connections.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Interesting! This could stop any interference issues, save an amazing amount of wiring labor. Save running down main cranking battery. My active Target box is mounted in starboard rod locker.

I tried the drill batteries as an experiment because I only have room for 3 size 27 batteries in the bilge, can’t even go to size 31’s. In addition, my friend worked for months trying to get rid of interference on his Garmin units so I knew that would be an issue.
    I was pleased with the experiment and moved on to the next phase. I just completed installing a 30 AH battery and charger in the compartment. I have a 115 Volt circuit that runs my vent fans any time my onboard charger is powered up so I hooked the Lithium battery charger to this circuit.
    According to the Amped Outdoors website, this battery should give me 18 hours run time with the LiveScope module and graph unit in the circuit.
    This is a work on progress. Even though the connection blocks have covers, I plan to move them so they are facing into the back wall to eliminate the possibility of something shorting across them.

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 08-15-2021 at 07:32 AM.

6. Member
    Why AT only? If it works well wouldn't you want to power all electronics this way?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Why AT only? If it works well wouldn't you want to power all electronics this way?
    I may add another unit to it at some point. With the LiveScope and 9 inch Garmin, I have 18 hours of usage so I figure I have about 9 hours available in a normal fishing day. This is only about 1.25 to 1.5 amps so it would have to something like another 9 inch Garmin.
    I have an HDS9 Gen3, SS3D module and N2K backbone hooked to a distribution panel under the console and this will require much more power than than I have available. Size for size, the Garmin seems to draw less amps than Lowrance so I will probably add another to the bow.

8. Member
    Thanks guys. I think I will move forward with the dewalt battery set up. Thanks again!

9. Member
    OK, I have decided to skip the drill battery and go with a 12v 32ah lithium battery stand alone for the active target. Do I connect the red and yellow wire from the active target together when attaching to the positive on the battery? I will have an in line fuse and connectors to the terminals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HookedAgain! View Post
    OK, I have decided to skip the drill battery and go with a 12v 32ah lithium battery stand alone for the active target. Do I connect the red and yellow wire from the active target together when attaching to the positive on the battery? I will have an in line fuse and connectors to the terminals.

Thanks
    If you hook the yellow wire to the red and both to the battery, the module will always be powered up and could result in a drained battery if stored for a long time.
    I would connect it to the yellow wire on your HDS unit so it is only powered up when the graph is on.

11. Member
    Or you could run yellow wire to switch and power it on/off from a separate switch. Make sure that switch is grounded though!
    2019 Skeeter FX-21
    250 SHO
    Lowrance 16” Live & 12” Live
    Ghost TM

12. Member
    Additional info, I forgot to mention that I am putting quick connect/disconnect on the battery so I can just unplug when not in use, hopefully this will take care of the yellow/red wire being combined to the positive terminal. Thanks for the input.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedAgain! View Post

Thanks
    Curious as to why you decided to skip the drill battery set up for the 32ah battery system?

14. Member
    Riverside,

I liked the additional power and wouldn't have to carry back up batteries for a tournament