How do you judge your golf game?

I know many golfers base there game on score or how well they putt, drive the ball, etc. but I essentially base my game on how well I strike my irons. I developed a terrible habit growing up of “coming over the top” and that creeps back into my game from time to time before I realize it….and takes me a while to get it straightened out again.

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Score

3. Member
    Score but with an asterisk, everyone wants to shoot a low score, right? But, if I'm low score in my group but everyone played crappy, I don't walk away feeling good about it.
    I want to come away with a feeling of having fun, playing with a good bunch of guys and if I happen to shoot a low score that makes it even better.

Ball striking is probably 1st, then score would be 2nd.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

5. Member
    that's a good question. A good par "save" is sometimes as satisfying as a birdie. Overall I guess score is the number 1 item. But how you get there matters. Overall, I guess to me, a good day putting is at the top of my list.

6. Member
    If I get to go play then it is a great game. Very casual fun player.

Score

But yesterday I hit every fairway which made me happy since I'm playing a new driver. Can't say I shot well, doubled 17 and 18 which helped me score a 91. Shot a 48 on the front, 43 on the back. Not really mad at the 43 other than the double/double ending.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Right now, for me, it is ball striking and trajectory. In the end, score will be the judge. I have been working hard on shot shaping and that is my focus when I play right now, not the score.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

9. Member
    Whenever I can put a few on the green from 120-170 out is a good day for me. I don't worry about my score much as it is usually in the 95-105 range. I just try to get better each time
    Fish have fins, they swim

10. Member
    One shot that flies the way I envisioned it and I’ve had an excellent day.

11. Member
    Follow-up to this conversation.......... yesterday, 15 days after laparoscopic surgery to repair groin hernia I played 18 holes with 2 of my usual golfing buddies. I shot 42-42, one birdie, but had 2 blow up holes, penalty for ball in water that led to triple bogeys. Putting and chipping was very good, the rest was just ok..... My golfing buddy that I use as a "measuring stick" to compare my game shot 83, so I was right there............ came away feeling pretty good after 2+ weeks of no golf!

12. Member
    You are a stronger man than I am…..I likely would have split my hernia back open on my first swing. I’m glad you are back out there and playing well.