Tips for painting the top cap and inside of a Ranger 520VX

I’ve been restoring a 2000 520 VX Ranger boat and just ordered carpet and am considering repainting the top cap and inside area of my boat while the carpet is out. It’s currently just plain white gelcoat but I’m considering repainting over the gelcoat with Alexseal paint. I’ve been watching a guy on YouTube (Boat works today) and he’s been painting a few boats with a roller instead of spraying it on and says that Alexseal has a new roll on additive that really makes your finish product look like a spray job and no tipping necessary.

My question is he really doesn’t go into how to prepare your gelcoat to be painted over. Is it just sanding then rolling on your primer then your top coats? Can you just paint over the gelcoat spider cracks? Or will they just not look right? What’s your opinion on this? Also how much paint would it take to do a top cap and the rest of the interior once the carpet is removed. Would a gallon be plenty?

FD1D0939-491D-47BE-8656-C24B86F565BC.png

2. Member
    How bad is the gel coat? Why not wet sand, compound and pro tec? That's become my go to strategy on my last few.

3. Member
    I've painted several Fly Fishing Boats. Hell's Bay, Mavericks, Mitzi Skiffs, with very good results using 2K Urethane paints. They stick very well to a 320 grit scratch. I personally would not go smaller than that. Some of the jobs were Valspar Refinish others PPG Refinish. All still look great. Any glass work has to be completely flawless, no pinholes what so ever. Better grades 2K Euro Primers fill the pinholes well, just don't thin the primer as recommended. Only about 1/2 the reducer at best. I used High Solids Clearcoats on all of them too. Also it has to go on wet, since your looking at rolling it on it would be wet. I don't know anything about the paint you referenced but I think if you tried to roll a Automotive Refinish 2K Urethane it would eat the roller up making a mess. I've actually decided to spray the top cap of my Blazer with 2K Urethane instead of Gelcoat. I'm ready to get that boat done.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    I've painted several Fly Fishing Boats. Hell's Bay, Mavericks, Mitzi Skiffs, with very good results using 2K Urethane paints. They stick very well to a 320 grit scratch. I personally would not go smaller than that. Some of the jobs were Valspar Refinish others PPG Refinish. All still look great. Any glass work has to be completely flawless, no pinholes what so ever. Better grades 2K Euro Primers fill the pinholes well, just don't thin the primer as recommended. Only about 1/2 the reducer at best. I used High Solids Clearcoats on all of them too. Also it has to go on wet, since your looking at rolling it on it would be wet. I don't know anything about the paint you referenced but I think if you tried to roll a Automotive Refinish 2K Urethane it would eat the roller up making a mess. I've actually decided to spray the top cap of my Blazer with 2K Urethane instead of Gelcoat. I'm ready to get that boat done.
    Great info. My boat is in decent condition as far as the gelcoat goes but there are sections that are not good. I may end up just using some vinyl wrap on some of these areas and see how it turns out. Sounds like this paint deal might be way over my head.

5. Member
    It needs to be said here Bud, unlike Bass Boats, Saltwater Fly Anglers walk all over their boats especially if they have a 30lb plus Cow Redfish on the other end of the line. The paint holds up well to the traffic so to speak.

6. Member
    I wouldn't roll a bassboat. I've sprayed awlgrip on a ton of big boats over the years and a spray job looks better than any roll and tip job. You have to prep a gelcoat boat different than a vehicle, that's why most guys who just clear them have a failed job. I'd fix the cracks, sand it with180 and awlgrip it, but you need a guy who knows how to spray.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    I wouldn't roll a bassboat. I've sprayed awlgrip on a ton of big boats over the years and a spray job looks better than any roll and tip job. You have to prep a gelcoat boat different than a vehicle, that's why most guys who just clear them have a failed job. I'd fix the cracks, sand it with180 and awlgrip it, but you need a guy who knows how to spray.

thanks me I figured for now I better just slow down a bit and give it all more thought. I think I’ll wait a season or two first before I go to crazy. Thanks for the advice.