1989 classic 50 barn find

I recently acquired a 1993 tracker pro17. It was in leaky barn uncovered and looked like a fun project. I really don’t know much about boats, but I’m a decent small engine guy and I love fishing. The boat came with a 1989 Merc Classic 50 (45hp). The water registration sticker is dated 2008 so I assume this boat hasn’t ran in years. I bought 2 batteries, a cranking and a deep cycle. I took the starter off and the brushes where gone corroded so I ordered a new starter and carb gaskets. While I waited for them I cleaned the gas tank,replaced fuel lines, cleaned the fuel pump, replaced fuel filter, and vacuumed the boat. When I got the carb gaskets I took off the carbs and cleaned them up. The bottom carb was very dirty with lots of gummy oil inside the engine cowl. I noticed the carbs have a little black piece of plastic, a “venturi”. I’ve never seen one before. I put it back the way I thought it goes, the tabs pointing towards the intake/choke. Then I reinstalled the carbs. I thought it was weird there is no air box or filter on the intake/choke side of the carbs…? Anyway. I replaced the starter, primed the fuel, and she cranked! The first attempt I saw fuel leaking out the intake side of the carbs. I tried cranking with no choke, and she burped little but no ignition with lots more fuel coming from carbs. I don’t think the floats are stuck. I did a blow test after I cleaned them. Maybe the venturies?? Does anyone have this engine have advice OR know where to find a good parts breakdown? Also the wiring on the boat is very suspect, lots of splices. Does anyone have a picture of their gas tank and battery set up? I currently have 55lb 12V trolling motor, but I don’t know which wires power the trim motor, ect. Also note the motor is trimmed all the way up, I don’t think it helps my fuel problem, but I can’t see it causing it.

2. Member
    EUROPEAN MARINE web site should fix you up, venturies should not cause fuel to flow back out of carbs , does it leak fuel out when bulb is pumped ???? replace pulse pump diaphram also use oem kit no aftermarket
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thank you for the response. Today I rebuilt the pulse pump and replaced the primer ball. It started for about 2 seconds. Tried to start again and the carbs leak like crazy when cranking. Guess I’m gonna have to take the carbs off again and investigate.

4. Member
    So it turns out… only 1 of the 4 cylinders had spark. So I bought a DVA tester on Amazon for 30 bucks. I watched a YouTube video on testing the stator, trigger, switch box, rectifier, and kill switch. Couldn’t find a problem so put it all back together and now everything works fine.. must have been a poor connection somewhere.