2000 (2001) 175 2.5 Sport Jet Seized. Need Crankshaft or Powerhead

Sooo, I have a 2000 (2001) 2.5 175 Sport Jet that seized the engine. Mine is the 'newer' 2000, so had the updated oil gear, which was in good shape. I bought it knowing the engine had seized, but when it cooled (according to the owner) it spun over but "Made noise". It spun pretty freely but had '0' compression on #4. I had hoped to open it up and get by with just an easy rebuild. No such luck.
    Crank is bad. Bore will clean up with .010.
    The problem is I am having a hard time finding a crankshaft, well, unless I buy a brand new one at $2000+. Mine can not be repaired.
    The 13 spline Sport Jet crankshafts that don't have some spalling or chinking are few and far between. Or not at all.
    NO ONE has a rebuilt powerhead, even though 'The Interweb's' show them. ALL that I called told me they 'do not, and I would have to send in my core to see if it could be rebuilt'. Sort of 'bait and switch' if you ask me. I had purchased two of them ($4000+ each) at different times and had them both cancel the next day, saying "Not in stock." even though both of them showed 'ready to ship'.
    Thought I would throw this on here to see if anyone has a 2.5 Sport Jet 13 spline crankshaft (or a powerhead!) laying around...

2. Member
    what diff about sp jet than a reg crank cause ive got several 2.5 powerheads
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can you provide the serial number for the powerhead?

IF it helps any, that same crankshaft was used in the 210 Carb Sportjet, the 240 EFI Sportjet, and the 200 DFI Sportjet. Same exact part number (but you are correct, the spline is different from the outboard models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor