Steering cable removal??

I recently replaced my 150 Mercury Mariner on my 1984 Ranger 350v since it had blown a hole straight through the block. I mounted a 90hp Johnson. The Mariner needed 2 steering cables and my Johnson only needs one. Is there a way to disconnect one steering cable completely from the assembly from the Mariner or am I going to have to order a new single steering cable system?

Thanks

Motor should have no effect on steering. Your old 2 cable steering should hook up to the new motor. If you had to use the one cable system, you'd have to replace the whole system from the helm to the motor. If I had to do that, I'd put a Sea Star Hydraulic steering system on now.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Will the bracket that holds the second cable in front of the main tilt tube bolt on to the 90? V6's required a dual cable set up, smaller 4's did not. I had to fab up a second tilt tube to run dual cable's on an Old Rude that ran a single. Is the current set up a rack and pinion? If so you could take one cable off at the helm and run one. I would't piss away $1000.00 on a Bay Star to turn a little 90, Bay Star is for 150 HP and under.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR