TIMING ISSUES 98 Evinrude 150 Intruder

Hello. I am new to this, so I am going to do my best to give a detailed description of what is going on with my boat.

Engine: E150GLECD (1998 Evinrude Intruder)
    Serial Number: G04434001
    1998 Stratos 283DC

The original issue was/ is that my boat will not get up on plane. With the engine tucked underneath, I would give it as much throttle as I could. The RMPs reached around 2500, and that was it. I did a lot of research on what might cause the issue and started replacing parts. Not the least expensive way to go, but they are all replaced and I should not have to mess with any of these for a long while, (at least I'm hoping)

I have replaced the following parts:
    Carb rebuilds (all 6 of them)
    Power Pack
    Ignition coils
    Plugs
    Plug Wires
    VRO Pump
    Stator (During this process, I found that the stator that was on the boat, when I got it, had gotten hot. Enough to where the coating on some of the copper wraps had melted) I bought a used but good OEM stator and swapped them out.
    Optical Sensor (The Optical Sensor was definitely bad, because when I put the EZ Timer on it, the CYLINDER LED would never completely go out. it would only dim)

I bought a JohnnyRude Easy Timer from jughead316 (thank you sir), to test the timing.

With that being said, now I am trying to perform the Maximum Spark Advance Section, located on page 1-34 of the OMC manual.
    1. The spark level screw is loose.
    2. It says to manually advance the spark cam to wide open throttle position using the spark lever. However, when I try to advance the spark cam, it will hardly budge. Being plastic, I am afraid to force it. Am I doing something wrong, here? I feel like I may be missing something. Also, I am still not sure how to set the Idle and High Speed tabs, once I get past this particular procedure. I would appreciate any help. I am sure I will have more questions, as I try to get this boat ready for the water, so please be patient with me. If I need to give more details, I will be happy to provide them. TIA

2. Member
    Undo control cable.

3. Member
    Thank you Nordmann. I also went ahead and bought a new OEM stator and rectifier. Once I get those installed, I will go back through and recheck the timing. I will post the results.

4. Member
    Make sure the inner magnets on the flywheel are good. I was chasing ignition problems for 2 months recently. The magnets look to be in good shape, no visible damage at all. Changed the flywheel with a loaner from a shop and my jaw hit the floor. If your still having issues find a flywheel before you spend any more $$$

5. Member
    Answer to your question is to undo throttle cable at engine end to allow you to advance throttle as required as required for proper timing.

6. Member
    Thank you guys for the help! I am about to go test it out again. I advanced the throttle, per the sticky that ChampionMan had posted, after I installed the new stator and rectifier and also changed the flywheel with another used one, that is in almost perfect shape. I believe every part on the outside of the engine is new, now. With the throttle advanced and the timing set per jughead316, I am hoping she runs like a top.

7. Member
    OK, so I got my timing correct. I also went ahead and replaced all of the high speed orifices in the float chambers. I took it out on the river and my boat had a great hole shot and got up on plane very quickly! My boat is finally running and running correctly! All of my hard work and input from you guys has paid off! Thank you!!!