care packages ( pogey bait) for students going through Marine boot camp?

My nephew left today for boot out in California. His mom wants to send him care packages. Does anyone know if the students are allowed to have packages (pogey bait) delivered? Are there any stipulations such has the contents have be consumed upon opening or within a certain time?
    Thanks!

2. Member
    I wouldn't send a Marine Recruit any pogey bait while in boot camp if you care about them unless things have changed a lot from when I went through. USMC 70-74 Semper Fi

3. Member
    I was Army.....but....I probably wouldn't send anything until the recruit gives a thumbs up....
    We were allowed packages later on in the cycle but we had to open it in front of the platoon and if it was food it was passed around.....
    Mail call was huge for us back in the early 80s though..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

4. Member
    As I recall, early on those type packages get pitched. About midpoint of training Senior Drill Instructor will use these type packages as motivation.

BTW, they are are called recruits, not students. After the Crucible couple weeks before graduation they begin to be treated like Marines, not recruits.