Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator

Newer painted tubular steel trailers rusting out??

Quick question...I live near Savannah, GA and we fish a brackish river half of the year. Depending on the ramp we sometimes see some pretty salty water. Years ago my very first bass boat trailer rusted out in 3 years even with regular flushing. Now that was before road armor and all of the other coatings they have today. Every boat I have owned since has had a channel frame trailer. My question is, are the newer tube trailers that much better than they were in the past? I am looking at getting a new(er) boat and many boats that I really like have the tube and I am just hesitant to pull the trigger on 35-45k for a boat with a trailer I might have to replace in 5 years @ $5k. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Member
    U fish 100% in brackish water. Pay for a c channel trailer. The coatings are only external.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    U fish 100% in brackish water. Pay for a c channel trailer. The coatings are only external.
    Soo many dealers trying to tell me it won't matter. Wanting a Phoenix. But the 2016 and so mostly still have the steel tube. I would rather just wait I guess to find the right one...with the right trailer!!

If at all possible stay away from tube trailer even in freshwater.

5. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Thanks for the responses!!

6. Member
    Billy, if I was down there I’d look into an aluminum trailer.

Some bass brands have some really sharp intracoastal models with matching fiberglass fenders that really dress them up and make them not look so plain like most with plastic fenders. IDK is Phoenix has such, but just a thought.

If I didn’t go aluminum, I dang sure wouldn’t go tube steel.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

The tube trailer is my biggest gripe about Nitro, we don't have brackish water here and I will not consider a tube trailer no matter how nice the boat brand is.

8. Member
    I fish brackish water frequently. I have a tube trailer. It's galvanized. It ain't pretty but a bass boat is just a tool, and the trailer is part of it. It's at least ten years old, it ain't rusty.

9. mikesxpress
    Brackish to saltwater here on the Potomac. Best to opt for an aluminum trailer for a few more $ vs fighting the inevitable corrosion with steel.

10. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I fish brackish water frequently. I have a tube trailer. It's galvanized. It ain't pretty but a bass boat is just a tool, and the trailer is part of it. It's at least ten years old, it ain't rusty.
    A galvanized trailer, tube or not is def much better than painted steel!! And thus reason saltwater boats are alum or galvanized. I have seen a few of them look pretty sharp as well!!

And thanks Mike def agree. 11Pounder is the ONLY thing thats kept me from buying another Nitro as I feel they are priced the way bass boats should be!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Billy View Post
    Soo many dealers trying to tell me it won't matter. Wanting a Phoenix. But the 2016 and so mostly still have the steel tube. I would rather just wait I guess to find the right one...with the right trailer!!
    When I did the plant tour at Phoenix they had a boat going to Texas on an aluminum trailer. I do believe that's an option now. I had a picture of it but don't know if I can find it to put on here.

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    The tube trailer is my biggest gripe about Nitro, we don't have brackish water here and I will not consider a tube trailer no matter how nice the boat brand is.
    Curious on what the issues is? I use to see rust runners in my trailer a year into ownership. After 2005 Nitro started the zinc coating tube trailers inside and out. With exception to the tongue I no longer see these rust runners.

Now I'm not saying it will last, or not rust in brackish waters. Salt is tough on many trailer components, especially brakes.

And I for one would not mind a c-Channel option on all trailers that have tube. But that does cost more.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    I thought phoenix was offering a channel frame option now
    Fish have fins, they swim

14. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    I thought phoenix was offering a channel frame option now
    Most def do - just not looking to spend NEW boat prices. Hoping to find a well taken care of boat in price range I am comfortable with.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Billy View Post
    Most def do - just not looking to spend NEW boat prices. Hoping to find a well taken care of boat in price range I am comfortable with.
    I guess my thought was to procure a channel trailer from them for a used boat (hull's really haven't changed much in the last few years).
    Fish have fins, they swim

16. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    I guess my thought was to procure a channel trailer from them for a used boat (hull's really haven't changed much in the last few years).
    Heck who wants to spend 35k and up on a boat and know that in 5-7 years if not sooner you will have to replace. New trailers are $4500 and up. Not like an outboard that may or may not have an issue. Down here, trailers will rust out!

17. Member
    A tube trailer rust from inside your out.
    get a channel trailer

18. Member
    Also maintenance on a Channel trailer is a lot easier,

getting to the brake lines and wires on a Channel trailer is so much easier.

I had a brake line start leaking on the inside of my tube trailer, many many hours of swearing trying to bleed the brakes and eventually finding out the brake line was leaking inside the tube.

My next trailer was a Channel Trailer
    Last edited by Team Mud; 12-28-2021 at 04:14 AM.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post

My Tracker 185 XT sits on a hot dipped galvanized tube trailer, doesn't really look all that bad since the boat is silver also

20. Member
    Galvanized trailers have been around for years, I live near then salt water and most boat trailers are galvanized. I always wondered why they couldn't add a color to the galvanized for people who want a different color?

I agree with Bill Norman's statement above, the trailer is a tool, as long as everything is working properly, getting the boat to and from the water safely is the goal....Go Fishing!!!!!
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO