Think I destroyed brand new NOCO Genius GENPRO10X2

I just started installing my new NOCO Genius GENPRO10X2 and was going to fashion an extension from some 10awg wire. I cut it before the point where the red and black wires leave the black outer sheath. Based on the two additional wires I found in there and what appears to be a temperature sensor I cut off, I'm pretty sure I just rendered the whole thing useless. The wires are hair thin, like 26awg or smaller. Is my assumption of destruction correct? If I would have cut the other side, it would have been fine.
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

2. Member
    I know the wires are small but can you reconnect them?

3. Member
    Contact the folks at noco, I'm pretty sure that is a 'load sensing' circuit but I'd bet a dollar to a penny they'd help you out.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrautoworks View Post
    Contact the folks at noco, I'm pretty sure that is a 'load sensing' circuit but I'd bet a dollar to a penny they'd help you out.
    I wouldn't take that bet. I replaced a ring terminal on my Gen 3 and they declined to honor the warranty when a different bank failed.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    https://no.co/media/nocodownloads/fo....16.2020_1.pdf

Call or text them and ask.

Just a quick glance, but did not see any extension instructions.

6. Banned
    Definitely the temperature sensor leads. Most chargers have em. Sensor is usually at the end of the cable right before the positive and negative leads split. Charger may still work and if you're running flooded batteries it would probably be fine as flooded batteries are quite tolerant about charging voltage

7. Member
    Thanks for all the answers. I'm waiting on NOCO to respond to an email, might call later.

Both batteries are Lithium, so the temp sensor is pretty important. I've already ordered a replacement, but hate that I made such a stupid mistake. I've done everything from solder circuit boards to pulling wire for a home service panel and have never made a mistake this dumb and costly before. I had seen elsewhere where someone had extended their leads on the same charger and - after the fact - when I went and looked at their photos, they cut between the sensor and the fuses, not the sensor and the charger (though I did not realize there was a sensor at the time). It even makes sense to do it the way they did it from a simplicity point of view even if there was not a sensor.
    John

Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

8. Member
    It's not a temp sensor 'per say' its a load sensing logic circuit... Call them...

9. Member
    When I contacted NOCO about modifying the cable length on my GenPro 10x4 I was told it was OK, and would not void warranty, "IF" I made modifications anywhere between the fuse holder and the ring terminal. Any modifications from the fuse holder to the charger would in fact void the warranty. Now, that said, CatFan's experience with doing just that directly conflicts with what I was told. Don't know that you've rendered the charger useless but for sure sounds like a warranty voiding modification.

10. Member
    NOCO responded yesterday. They very politely and professionally told me that the purpose of the wires and devices in that portion of the lead is proprietary information. They also stated that any modification to the leads behind the fuses voids the warranty, which is contrary to what they told CatFan when he replaced the lug on his. Finally, they said that can not offer any advice on the use of the charger that has been altered behind the fuse holders for liability reasons.
    John

Dual Power-Pole Micros

11. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Since you have did all that electrical work, just order a complete new cable, take charger apart install new cable and be done with it.
    no warranty, or maybe send it back to them and they will replace cable on your dime , but get to keep warranty.
    Spare or sell it

12. Member

Did the same but fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by jrfuda View Post
    NOCO responded yesterday. They very politely and professionally told me that the purpose of the wires and devices in that portion of the lead is proprietary information. They also stated that any modification to the leads behind the fuses voids the warranty, which is contrary to what they told CatFan when he replaced the lug on his. Finally, they said that can not offer any advice on the use of the charger that has been altered behind the fuse holders for liability reasons.
    Sorry to revive an old thread but this info may help others who make the mistake i did. I was able to repair my NOCO 3x10 Gen5 by very carefully reattaching the temp sensor. Before i did i measured the resistance of the temp sensor and found it to be 100k ohms at room temp. So if you cannot reattach the temp sensor you could try a resistor between the blue and brown leads. The way i look at it - your in a no warranty situation anyway. There will no longer be over temp protection but at least you may have a charger.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donnest View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread but this info may help others who make the mistake i did. I was able to repair my NOCO 3x10 Gen5 by very carefully reattaching the temp sensor. Before i did i measured the resistance of the temp sensor and found it to be 100k ohms at room temp. So if you cannot reattach the temp sensor you could try a resistor between the blue and brown leads. The way i look at it - your in a no warranty situation anyway. There will no longer be over temp protection but at least you may have a charger.
    The thermistor isn’t there for over temp protection, it’s there to adjust charging voltage for different temperatures. At 70F, 14.4V might be the right charging voltage, but at 90F that’s too high and it needs to be dialed down to 14V. With a resistor in place of a thermistor, you’ll overcharge when it’s hot.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Might be saved by with the BMS limiting volts, but then again just in case, the battery probably costs as much as the charger. Reading manuals are a great help when modifying electronics. But a call to the company can also help. I would not rely on your repair solution. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

15. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    use a bolt/flat washers to extend w/ring terminals on extensions...=no warantee issue

While mounting my Gen2 The screw went crooked and into the sealed charger. Sand substance came out and charger stopped working. I called them and admitted my mistake. They covered under Warranty. Unit was discontinued so had to pay like $100 for newer model. Fine by me.