Thread: 20XD

20XD

I have a buddy with a very nice 20XD. I always kidded with him that I want it if he ever wants to get rid of it. Well he called my bluff. I don't have time to use it as thats why I sold my BassCat a few years back. I know these boats are still in demand and he's funny about who he'll sell too. It has a 225 Pro Max that the only thing other than plugs is the oil injection has been removed. I need it like I need a hole in my head but I hate to pass it up. What say Y'all?

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

2. Member
    I do love the 20XDs. I had one until December of last year. A Toyota pickup killed mine. Here is the thread about it if interested. ( http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1098131 ). Would be nice to know a little about it. What year, what lower unit, how is it equipped and of course the asking price. Nice 20s are kind of hard to find for sure. I wanted another 20XD but it took me several months to find the one I had. I have no personal experience with the Pro Max but I think they were solid engines with good power. If set up right, low water pick up, correct prop it should be a high 80s boat.
    I had to settle for a XRS with the 300R. I still miss my 20XD. You want regret owning a nice 20XD, and you are not likely to lose money on it.

It's a 98 on a single axle galavinized trailer and has a Sportsmaster lower unit. A manual jackplate and what looks like a 26 trophy prop. Not sure on electronics but I know he has upgraded a few times over the years. He has owned it for about 10 years. I know I need to pry on the transom but last I saw it I don't remember it having a scratch.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

4. Member
    I think the '98 will have the new style transom. Should easily do high 80s ready to fish. If the '98 has the new style transom and everything checks out including motor I would seriously consider it, if the price is right. That Pro Max loves gas!

I ran a '98 20XD with a 225 Promax for 5 years. It's great. It will not have the ride of a 21XD but if you pick your fishing days and water you'll love it. And even if you don't that boat will get you where you need to go and get you back. And rather fast also. :)
    Discipline is the key, if you can't hack it, pack it!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    I think the '98 will have the new style transom. Should easily do high 80s ready to fish. If the '98 has the new style transom and everything checks out including motor I would seriously consider it, if the price is right. That Pro Max loves gas!
    I can verify your statement about loving gas but then I did lean on the hotfoot a lot.. still loved my 225 Pro Max. It had the old style cowling, very light weight with the 4 rubber fasteners.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    I have a 98 20xd that had a 225 pro max when I bought it. It was set up same way (stock on premix gas) except a different prop of the same pitch. Those ponies wanted to be turned loose and run down the lake. It didn’t like idling around very much. If you decide to change motors, you will have more buyers than you can imagine if posted on Scream & Fly classifieds. A guy from Michigan drove down to buy mine. I swapped the Promax with a 2017 Mercury Racing XS 250 with a sportmaster lower unit. Couldn’t be happier. The one addition I had to make was adding flotation to jack plate to offset extra weight. I would get a lot of water over the back plus it sat lower causing the nose to be higher when fishing. Adding floatation solved the problem. The acceleration from both motors on the 20xd is addicting. On the days we struggle to catch fish, we go riding around and have about as much fun. As others have said the 20xd doesn’t handle rough water like the 21’ boats so that’s something to consider based on when you fish. The flip side is I can get into tighter areas than my buddies 21 xd.

8. Member
    David, you need that for your grinnel tournament

Joking aside, a 20 XD and 225 Pro Max is a ton of fun.

P.S. don't forget to wave when you blow by me.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

The Grinnel tourney is what started him thinking about selling. A buddy of mine I was having lunch with told him he wanted it to Grinnel fish out of and he told him there would never be a nasty Grinnel ever ever brought over the side of this boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    David, you need that for your grinnel tournament

Joking aside, a 20 XD and 225 Pro Max is a ton of fun.

P.S. don't forget to wave when you blow by me.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

10. Member
    If possible I shoot the grinnel outside the boat then use pliers to hold the hook and try to shake them off. They do make a mess if they get on the carpet.

Maybe I should declare that I am going grinnel fishing in hopes of catching more of those largemouth trash fish you catch.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 08-14-2021 at 08:21 AM.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

Bowfin are a blast to catch! I have a pond loaded full of them that makes for a fun day.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Member
    Gehol, you had to settle with an XRS... oh that is just horrible
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joby1 View Post
    Gehol, you had to settle with an XRS... oh that is just horrible
    OK, maybe a little tongue in cheek.