D'atto latch on steep ramps

Just wondering , I have a lund pro guide, and Indiana and Michigan seem to have a problem with public ramps being sleep or quick drop offs, most of the time I have to winch the boat up to the eye and roller, usually about 6". see pic. I did a hurculiner on my keel to protect from scratches. On the dratto latch if I still have to winch the boat up 6" do you think that will start to wear my liner off? Versus keeping the regular roller set up. Thanks you all ,,dratto latch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Carroll; 08-10-2021 at 12:20 PM. Reason: misspelled dratto on thread title

2. Member
    I think I'm understanding your question correctly - if not, let me know and I'll see if I can better help.

The Drotto latch now has an option that comes with a roller. In my case - for the 3 3/4-4" roller, the model is: XD375B. For the smaller 3-3 1/2" roller, the model is XR300B. For my Lund Adventure (and I think almost all Lunds) it was the XD375B that I needed. But, always measure just to be sure. I believe your question is stemming from the fact that just about every product picture they have shows no roller being used. But, this isn't the case anymore - or, it doesn't have to be. They have a model with and without the roller.

I installed the latch on Sunday, and it worked great. Very easy process. One thing you will likely need to plan for is that the Drotto latch - from almost all the research that I did before buying, and in my own case, will push your boat back on the trailer about 2" or so. So, you may need to plan for adjustments in that regard. In my case, it resulted in my transom hanging off the back of the bunks by about 2". What I did, was flipped my brackets that hold the bunks around (suggestion from a dealer on another forum) and that worked perfectly. It pushed my bunks back the 2" I lost to the Drotto, and now the boat is fully supported the full length on the trailer, just like it was before the Drotto latch install.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coftedal View Post
    I think I'm understanding your question correctly - if not, let me know and I'll see if I can better help.

The Drotto latch now has an option that comes with a roller. In my case - for the 3 3/4-4" roller, the model is: XD375B. For the smaller 3-3 1/2" roller, the model is XR300B. For my Lund Adventure (and I think almost all Lunds) it was the XD375B that I needed. But, always measure just to be sure. I believe your question is stemming from the fact that just about every product picture they have shows no roller being used. But, this isn't the case anymore - or, it doesn't have to be. They have a model with and without the roller.

I installed the latch on Sunday, and it worked great. Very easy process. One thing you will likely need to plan for is that the Drotto latch - from almost all the research that I did before buying, and in my own case, will push your boat back on the trailer about 2" or so. So, you may need to plan for adjustments in that regard. In my case, it resulted in my transom hanging off the back of the bunks by about 2". What I did, was flipped my brackets that hold the bunks around (suggestion from a dealer on another forum) and that worked perfectly. It pushed my bunks back the 2" I lost to the Drotto, and now the boat is fully supported the full length on the trailer, just like it was before the Drotto latch install.
    I understand what your saying , I can easily move my winch tower ahead a few inches, my worry was if there was no roller , and I had to winch boat 6" or. so when I load the boat on trailer, because the ramps hear in my area are steep , sometimes the nose of the bow is level with the roller so the keel has to roll up the roller 6" till the eye is butted up to the roller. If there is no roller on dratto then I'm thinking sliding my keel that I just huculined would start to come off over time. its kinda hard to explain .

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carroll View Post
    I understand what your saying , I can easily move my winch tower ahead a few inches, my worry was if there was no roller , and I had to winch boat 6" or. so when I load the boat on trailer, because the ramps hear in my area are steep , sometimes the nose of the bow is level with the roller so the keel has to roll up the roller 6" till the eye is butted up to the roller. If there is no roller on dratto then I'm thinking sliding my keel that I just huculined would start to come off over time. its kinda hard to explain .
    I see what you're saying - makes total sense. I wish I could have moved my winch stand, that would have been much easier. Sounds like might be good to go.

5. Member
    Mike,
    I understand your concern on the herculiner and my thought ( I may be wrong) is that that stuff is built to take abuse. Couldn't it just be touched up every year or two where it wears on the Drotto latch? I think the touch up would become part of my yearly maintenance. Good luck with it ,from the pictures you have a good looking boat
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    Mike,
    I understand your concern on the herculiner and my thought ( I may be wrong) is that that stuff is built to take abuse. Couldn't it just be touched up every year or two where it wears on the Drotto latch? I think the touch up would become part of my yearly maintenance. Good luck with it ,from the pictures you have a good looking boat
    ya I probably could touch it up. thanks, the stuff is pretty hard. here is a few other pics, I made the splash pan inserts out of fiberglass transom board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    That is one beautiful boat,
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    That is one beautiful boat,
    thank you , headed to Cherokee lake in Tennessee next month.

9. Member
    ya I probably could touch it up. thanks, the stuff is pretty hard. here is a few other pics, I made the splash pan inserts out of fiberglass transom board.
    Very, VERY nice job! 💪😉👍

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Very, VERY nice job! 💪😉👍
    thanks, I was very nervous about purposely scratching my boat to prep. I'm happy with it.

11. Member
    thanks, I was very nervous about purposely scratching my boat to prep. I'm happy with it.
    Hehehe....I TOTALLY understand. i had to rough up my entire hull to Raptorline. It turned out great!

12. Member
    I recently installed this latch and I’m really liking it. It came with a roller. You will not have to winch it up. When I pull up on the trailer I put the boat in reverse and bump it lightly to make sure it’s latched. I then hook the winch up before getting on the road.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snagged View Post
    I recently installed this latch and I’m really liking it. It came with a roller. You will not have to winch it up. When I pull up on the trailer I put the boat in reverse and bump it lightly to make sure it’s latched. I then hook the winch up before getting on the road.
    sounds good thanks, I'll look into it. do you use steep ramp?

14. Member
    Some of the ramps are steep and I’d have trouble keeping my boat on the trailer until I could hook the winch. I didn’t like leaving it in gear to hold the boat while hooking to the winch. The Drotto works good.

15. Member
    20210817_165422.jpg20210817_164506.jpg

Works great on my Lund,
    With roller trailer and steep ramps I recommended it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Castaway View Post
    20210817_165422.jpg20210817_164506.jpg

Works great on my Lund,
    With roller trailer and steep ramps I recommended it.
    roger , thanks. I wish I had a roller , every ramp in my area is different, only a few that are gradual, most are deep and steep incline. thanks