Thread: Max rpms SHO

Max rpms SHO

I have a 17 250 SHO. What is the max rpms I should be able to get with this motor? The best I've seen is 57-5800. It has a T1 prop recently worked by Croxton.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=732507. A year earlier, but maybe this helps.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

3. Member
    You can get all the way to the rev limiter RPM. Depends upon a number of variables. Weather, boat weight, engine height, propeller, engine trim angle, etc..

4. Member
    Hot and humid now here in jawja. Motor makes less power. Less RPM. Come winter it will be completely different.

5. Member
    If you want absolute max performance prop it to turn all the way to 6200. It will pull hard up to a touch over 6k then flatten out a bit. Once it hits 6100 it'll get a second wind and pull right up to the limiter. My bravo and sho prop are both setup to turn 6200 in the cooler months. In summer they run right at 6k. I could get another mph or 2 in the summer by changing pitch to get back up to 6200 but it's not worth it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    If you want absolute max performance prop it to turn all the way to 6200. It will pull hard up to a touch over 6k then flatten out a bit. Once it hits 6100 it'll get a second wind and pull right up to the limiter. My bravo and sho prop are both setup to turn 6200 in the cooler months. In summer they run right at 6k. I could get another mph or 2 in the summer by changing pitch to get back up to 6200 but it's not worth it.
    What boat are you running to reach those rpms. Mine is a Ranger, with every bit of fishing gear I own in it! That might be my problem!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    What boat are you running to reach those rpms. Mine is a Ranger, with every bit of fishing gear I own in it! That might be my problem!
    I'm running a phoenix 721. It's a faster hull than your Ranger but the same principles should apply. You might need to drop a pitch to bring rpm up.

Fwiw I run a heavy load too. Ultrex, dual graphs, 360 up front. Rod box has 18 or so in it, tackle storage is completely full, driver side box is full of other assorted gear. Driver rear box is full of more plastics and swimbaits, passenger side is full of my buddy's or dad's tackle 4-31 agm's and a spare prop in the back. Only thing I don't have is poles.

I'm running a 25 Sho t-2 that croxton has worked on and a stock 27 bravo.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I'm running a phoenix 721. It's a faster hull than your Ranger but the same principles should apply. You might need to drop a pitch to bring rpm up.

Fwiw I run a heavy load too. Ultrex, dual graphs, 360 up front. Rod box has 18 or so in it, tackle storage is completely full, driver side box is full of other assorted gear. Driver rear box is full of more plastics and swimbaits, passenger side is full of my buddy's or dad's tackle 4-31 agm's and a spare prop in the back. Only thing I don't have is poles.

I'm running a 25 Sho t-2 that croxton has worked on and a stock 27 bravo.
    We're very similar in loads. I've got Poles on mine, and my prop just got back from Croxton! I have the T1, is the difference that great between the two?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    A few people say the T1 is faster but the only difference is the hub. T2 has a redesigned stronger hub, barrel and blades are the same.

10. Member
    I've played with a few props rpm 5800 to 6200. I agree on propping to at least 6000rpm with some room for winter or running light to hit 6200.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    I've played with a few props rpm 5800 to 6200. I agree on propping to at least 6000rpm with some room for winter or running light to hit 6200.
    I don't know anything about propping! What exactly do you mean by that term?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Propping means to select the correct pitch prop to equal 600-6200 rpm at max throttle/speed trimmed out. It may take 2 or 3 props to get there.