8/7/21 Anita report

Made it out to Anita early Saturday morning. Decided to start on the dam for something different, drove by some good spots to get there but was thinking I never start early running the rocks on the dam….. and now I know not to start on the dam not one bite stayed on the west side and made my way south, got a few bites on a buzz bait, few on A jig on the rock piles but the best bite was on a speed worm. Fished hard till 11am but never got any big bites … The grass is the worst I’ve ever seen it there. The pads are so thick you could walk on them Lol. I’m sure there must be some big ones living under there but I just don’t want to flip/punch to get a bite but that’s just me I guess. Might have some time this week to fish so hopefully I can get out.

Top water huh? I haven’t had a topwater / frog bite this year—— and I have fished some slop.

3. Member
    I really don’t fish a frog much but a buzz bait and WP and spook are on my deck all the time.

4. Banned
    You'll be addicted to punching if you do decide to give it a shot! Far and away my favorite technique. I love getting down and dirty with the fish. Hook one up, turn the trolling motor on high and plow your way in to it if you didn't send it over the boat on the hookset. Even won a club tournament at Anita doing just that last year

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    You'll be addicted to punching if you do decide to give it a shot! Far and away my favorite technique. I love getting down and dirty with the fish. Hook one up, turn the trolling motor on high and plow your way in to it if you didn't send it over the boat on the hookset. Even won a club tournament at Anita doing just that last year
    I have done it a few times but haven’t had much luck probably need to spend some time doing it so I can learn how. Do you use braid? What weight (jig) or (t-rig) do you like to use? I do really think there’s some big bass that live under there all summer.

6. Banned
    7ft 8in H rod with a minimum of 65lb braid and a 1- 1.5oz pegged tungsten weight with a beaver or craw style bait. 4/0 or 5/0 VMC heavy cover flippin hook. The biggest hurdle to overcome with punching is the hookset. If you drop the rod tip at all, you'll never hook that bass because the weight will blow their mouths open. Keep your rod tip no lower than eye level and when you feel a bite just lean into them. I've had bass fly over my boat on the hookset when punching and they are right under the surface doing it this way