Thread: Old Champ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old Champ

I bought a 1990 20' Champion from the repo depot. Needs seats and a motor to get out on the water. I am trying to figure out what the model is, I suspect a 201dc, and I wondered if anyone has a recommendation for HP as the rating only says V6 rating.

2. Member
    If it's 20 ft I wouldn't put anything less than 225 hp. Of course there are several factors which could come into play. Maybe you just want to use it on a 500 acre private lake. You could do fine with a 90 horse. Need more info on how and what kind of water you will use it on to be able to help with hp suggestions. Welcome to the forum and post some pic when you can.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    I run on Lake of the Woods mainly. Large body of water. I will post pics tomorrow evening. Thanks again

Yes, the bigger the better. That hull needs lift and you get that with HP. At least a 225. Some run best with no setback, but 6-8 inches is considered the sweet spot. Start around 2.5" below pad.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome!!

It does sound like a 201. Would love to see some pictures!

6. Member
    side.jpgback.jpgdeck.jpg
    Was finally able to finish paperwork and pick it up tonight. The boat measures 20' bow to stern so I thought it was a 201 as well. What throws me off is that every pic I have seen so far shows a tandem trailer under a 201 and this one is a single axle.

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I seem to recall ChampioNman’s 201 had a single axle as well. Tandem was an option in many cases.
    Last edited by Lea; 08-09-2021 at 08:51 PM.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Contact Dean's Top and Canvas and have the HIN handy when you call. They can tell/show you the original interior they made for it and let you know what they can do to update it.

9. Member
    Thank you

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Dual axle trailers were an option back then. I ordered my 89 201 from my dealer in NY state, dual axle was an option as was the under seat auxiliary gas tank and dual rear live wells. Amongst other items. I went with the single axle trailer with brakes.

11. Member
    I want to fix a few spots where the previous owner drilled some holes for electronics etc. Anyone know where the best place to find gelcoat with the fleck to match would be?

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Contact Dean’s Tops...give them your HIN and they can check your build sheet for the correct colors. Hopefully, it won’t be a custom mix, tho a good fiberglass repair shop should/might be able to match ....

13. Member
    How's the transom look? Make sure it is solid before you start throwing money at the boat. From the pictures you posted it looks like the boat good potential. The deck extension is nice!

14. Member
    Did check the transom before I bought it. All good. Was pretty pumped when I saw the deck extension as well. Thanks.

15. Member
    Lucked out yesterday. Small city luck I guess. Bumped in to the old owner of the boat. Says he has the seats, posts, windshields, cover and foot pedal tray. I offered to buy them off of him but he says he will just give them to me. He was pissed with the bank for taking the boat, so he grabbed as much as he could.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Wall View Post
    Lucked out yesterday. Small city luck I guess. Bumped in to the old owner of the boat. Says he has the seats, posts, windshields, cover and foot pedal tray. I offered to buy them off of him but he says he will just give them to me. He was pissed with the bank for taking the boat, so he grabbed as much as he could.
    Wow that is lucky! If it were my luck I would have put all new stuff on it, then ran into him a week later
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

17. Member
    Hope you're young. You have a lot of work ahead of you. Wonder where the old motor went? Is that hydraulic steered?

18. Member
    I think I'm young most of the time but I guess it all depends on which side of 50 you're on I guess. It is hydraulic steering and the motor was the repo. The bank kept the boat as well to sell to make up some of the loss they took now that the motor he didn't pay for is considered used. No idea where the motor went but it isn't available they said. He had put a 175 SHO on it and claims on GPS he ran 64-65 MPH. All I know is the seats are in, the trolling motor is on, the electronics are in and I am working on a few chips and scratches in my effort to make it as sweet as I can. Just need to figure out an engine. I have a line on a 1997 200 Promax just not sure yet.

19. Member
    I wouldn't put a pro max on that hull. Those motors were designed for light weight racing applications.

Yeah... mid 60s with a 175? No way. That's what a 225 will get you.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast