optimax 115 no beep on key on

Can someone tell me where to find the speaker to check if it's still working? I noticed the beep is gone. I looked under the console but can't see it. I did just replace the bilge pump and there was a bunch of wires around it. Do the wires run through there and maybe I messed a connection up (?).

Is your engine able to crank when you turn the key to the on position?

The alarm for your motor which indicates key on or codes is usually located behind the dash. Of course without knowing what sort of boat you have, it could be located somewhere else as well. Being that you were just back there messing with your bilge, it is possible you pulled off one of the wires, which may have been for it.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

3. Member
    possible bad horn or mudd dobbers have horn fouled from operation
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    smartcraft-horns.pngYes, the motor runs fine. I was at the beach when I posted the original message. I'm not sure how long the key on beep had not been working but noticed it when I keyed on to look at the fuel gauge. I tried several times and even cranked the motor while I was there. That prompted me to check the oil and I only had about 3" in the tank so I filled that up. When I got back to the dock, I tried the key-on again and the beep was back. I have no idea why it's working now but I guess I need to try to find the speaker in the event it goes out again. I've got 3 small amps in my console I wired myself but don't recall seeing any speaker other than the boat horn when I was all up in there. I'll look some more I guess. It's a Mako 1901 with 07 Optimax 115. I just found a pic that shows the alarm on the key switch. That is difficult to visualize with the radio blocking access but I'll take out the head unit and look.
    Last edited by dawg11; 08-09-2021 at 07:09 AM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Does your control exactly resemble the one pictured?

If not- where is your KEY SWITCH located? The warning horn is usually located on the same harness, within a couple feet of the key switch.

Simple 12V device, you can test with a battery (purple to +/positive, Tan w/blue stripe to -/negative). No sound: Replace. Intermittent operation: Replace.

Nagging always blaring results: Verify clean connections for warning horn, and clean the keyswitch harness connections at the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I have an 06 mako 1901 that I completely removed every existing wire and replaced them for proper wiring, so in this model i’m an expert.

Your buzzer is held by tie wraps behind the dash between the tachometer and speedometer. If it is not exactly there look close to there, but for sure it is hanging by tie wraps. You can remove the dash by pulling the 8 screws around it and it should flip down.

PM me if you want any help with this boat electrical gremlins, the factory wiring sucks, so I decided to do my own.

7. Member
    Hope you don't have this problem, but my 2012 75hp Optimax had a "no beep" on start up when new, it was a defective ECM which was replaced under warranty. Check all wires , this ECM was $1300.00 Can. !