Thread: Lund quality?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lund quality?

Lund is marketed as the best aluminum boat on the market. However, the warranty only covers double riveted seams for the life of ownership, that leaves all single rivets subject to failure. The decks are made of wood and I think most would agree wood will rot, it's not if but when. I believe Lund covers the wood for the life but who wants to rip out their entire deck? The aluminum hull thickness, it's double plated on the bow but everywhere else the aluminum is thin compared to the competition. So given these factors, what makes Lund superior to say a Ranger aluminum boat that has a lifetime warranty on the transom, internal ribs, and external welds? Ranger does not use any wood anywhere in the boat. The aluminum is .125 throughout, not just on the bow.

So why is Lund the best? I love the Lund layout but I just don't understand the superior "quality", especially when the Lund warranty is inferior to the competition.

2. Member
    Which Particular Lund model are you referring to?

Lund Impact....but the Lund warranty is the same for all models.

4. Member
    The Lund Peo V Bass does not have any wood, 100% aluminum including all floors and hatches.

5. Member
    Pretty sure the new Lund Renegade Mod V bass boats are also wood free.

Lund Pro V bass is one kick ass boat with mega storage. The XS version with the extra seating is nice if you have extra people you want to just go out for a cruise with once in a while.

Many will argue the rivets are superior to welding which weakens the aluminum if the weld is not done correctly.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Ranger boat in Alaska on one of those outdoor shows.

So here's the question, if Lund is superior quality, why is their warranty sub-par? In other words, why does Lund only cover the double riveted seams for life and not single rivets? It's the single rivets that fail, not the double. All welded boats like Ranger cover the transom, interior ribs and external welds. And for the second owner, Lund has a pro-rated warranty system where each year the owner pays more and more for warranty work. In fact, the last year the owner pays 80% for the warranty costs. That doesn't seem like a great second owner warranty. Ranger has a straight 10 year warranty to the second owner, no pro-rated system. I like Lund, I'm just trying to figure out why the best aluminum boat in the industry does not have a warranty to match? Neither does Vexus for that matter. Another best in the industry company that has an inferior warranty.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Ranger does not use 0.125” aluminum throughout their hulls.

9. Member
    "j791"
    - Lund warranty does include transoms...Lifetime to original owner. (has since mid term of the 2006 model year) Also lifetime covers floors or decks.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Ranger does not use 0.125” aluminum throughout their hulls.
    The Ranger website says .125 https://www.rangerboats.com/aluminum...overview_specs

Quote Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
    "j791"
    - Lund warranty does include transoms...Lifetime to original owner. (has since mid term of the 2006 model year) Also lifetime covers floors or decks.
    Correct, but it does not cover single rivets, only the double riveted seams. So when Lund says they have a lifetime warranty, it’s only partially true. Lifetime on double riveted seams only. Here’s something, try and find the Lund warranty on their website…like the actual warranty. I couldn’t find it anywhere. It’s very easy to find Ranger’s warranty on their website. Hmmm
    Last edited by j791; 08-08-2021 at 06:16 PM.

You should buy the Ranger.

Good luck with your purchase and that lifetime warranty when you need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    You did not specify which Ranger model. The RT178, RT188, RT188P and RT198P use 0.100” aluminum for the hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    You did not specify which Ranger model. The RT178, RT188, RT188P and RT198P use 0.100” aluminum for the hulls.
    OP is posting about the Lund Impact, a deep v boat. All of Ranger's aluminum deep v's 17' and longer are .125 thickness, 1.0 for shorter models.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    OP is posting about the Lund Impact, a deep v boat. All of Ranger's aluminum deep v's 17' and longer are .125 thickness, 1.0 for shorter models.
    Any boat with 0.125” aluminum should be a beast, as is the Lund. Don’t really see how you could go wrong with either, but I’d probably rather have a leaking rivet to repair than a cracked weld. Hopefully neither boat would suffer from needing a repair.

16. Banned
    both Lund & Alumacraft double riveted boats are BEASTS!!! I owned a couple new Alumacrafts, and loved them. NEVER a drop of a leak ever!

17. Member
    I thought all the seams in the bottom of the hull on a Lund are double riveted.
    That’s what I seem to recollect on mine, but it stays in the water so I can’t double check until November.

18. Member
    So I’m going to attempt to answer your questions. Up here in MN Lund boats are and always have been one of the most popular boats on the water, I wouldn’t be surprised if the typical day there’s 10 Lund boats for every 10 of something else. Anyone from retired guys in old Lunds they’ve had for 30 years to pro fisherman fishing the walleye circuit in new boats every year. I don’t think Hull warranty is something Lund has built a brand name on by the letter and I don’t think they try to market their sales through the warranty. The wood deck is the reality of most family/everyday fishing boats up here also and unless left out in the rain and swamped regularly they actually hold up very well. For some one new to the market that Lund plays in I can see where this is a flag but I’ve never seen a riveted Alumacraft or Lund with major hull issues although I’ve seen several with Rangers and other welded hulls that are less than 5 years and it doesn’t seem like they really want to deal with it when there’s a warranty claim. A lifetime warranty is a gimmick to make you feel like you’re buying something they will stand behind forever and they know very well that most only own for a 5-10 year period at the very most and they only honor it to the original owner.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    You should buy the Ranger.

Good luck with your purchase and that lifetime warranty when you need to use it.
    Ranger replaced this guy’s entire boat under warranty

20. Member
    if your looking for a lund, look at boats for sale on this site, there is a 2020 1875 pro v bass XS withe a 200merc with 7 hrs on motor. I talked to him on the phone, stand up guy. great deal, just saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast