Benelli SBE3......Waterfowlers step inside

Looking for feedback on the SBE3, specifically does it handle waterfowl loads without beating you up? Coming out of an A5 because it was rough on my aging bones and hesitant to get into another inertia gun. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    5 Short of a limit

-wrong opinion- In my opinion the bennelli inertia operation is the easiest on the shoulder.

after the next two posts I went deep in the weeds on YouTube and concluded I mis-spoke, apparently inertia guns have more recoil than gas guns.

still have less recoil than pumps and I guess I have never had an issue but I'm still young and dumb.

i have not shot the sbe3, lots of 2's, and I own two bennelli Vinci's, and I have shot my brothers gas shotgun many times. So not sure if I am playing favorites or if the ammo wasn't as similar as the boxes specs said.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 08-09-2021 at 10:32 AM.

3. Member
    I like Beretta for lower felt recoil.

Had a Browning A5 lightweight that beat the crap out of me especially on doves when wearing lightweight clothing.

Gas guns are my preference now.

Have been in gun stores several times when even big guys were trading in their 3 1/2" SBE shotguns for gas operated brands.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Inertia guns are going to have more felt recoil than a gas gun. I’ve put many thousands of shells through both types while waterfowl and upland bird hunting. I love my Benelli SBE2, but it kicks harder than any gas gun I’ve had.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    As said...go with a gas gun if recoil is an issue. If you shoot 2 3/4inch loads it's fine. Heavier 3 inch and especually 3.5 inch will have noticeable recoil. I don't shoot 3.5's...ever.

6. Member
    Another factor in felt recoil is weight. If you do a lot of walking and jumping ponds a lighter gun can be great but if you mostly take a boat out to sit over decoys there’s really no good reason to be lighter. My experience is that my 8 pound sp10 shoots equal to a 5 pound versamax… only difference is the sp10 really sucks to carry through the woods lol

7. Member
    You really need to shoot several brands before choosing. In my case, the SBE3, A5, and Beretta A400 were compared on skeet. As the day progressed, my shoulder always voted for the A400. Several on the hunting board also suggested the Beretta. GL

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I haven't shot the SBE3, because my SBE2 is still going strong after 15+ years. It is light, and it kicks harder than other guns, but it shoulders so nicely for me, that it is really comfortable. I sure do feel a turkey load though. I would say try and shoot different styles.
    Thanos was the hero

9. Moderator
    If you are looking for a soft shooting waterfowl shotgun, look no further than a Beretta A400 Extreme plus. I have a half dozen benelli's and a half dozen other berettas and a few Sx3's. They are all great and I love every one of them. But the softest shooting is the Extreme plus. It's probably my favorite gun....

10. Member
    Thanks for all the input guys. I shouldered and shot quite a variety of different guns including all the ones people chimed in about. I set out to buy the new Maxus II but when I saw it it just didn't come up right and I found myself trying to talk myself into wanting to like it because it was a gas gun. After it was all said and done, I ended up with the SBE 3. Shot 100 rounds of sporting clays with it. IMHO, it is a still softer shooting than my A5 and even though they were only target loads, it was still softer than the A5.
    5 Short of a limit

11. T Dub
    SBE3 comes in 20 gauge now - if you like the gun itself maybe think about one of those

Are you guys referring to the new A5 or the older Auto 5?

13. Member
    Mine was a 1962 A5 Light 12 with the gold trigger.

Loved the gun and it never failed to feed but my shoulder would be badly bruised and sore after a good dove shoot. Back then the limit was 18 and it usually took me about 2+ boxes to get my limit.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

14. Member
    Mine was the new A5
    5 Short of a limit

15. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I have a Vinci and do not pay it any attention. Would rather shoot it than my 1187.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

16. Member
    If you are recoil sensitive or recoil averse, definitely look to the Beretta A400, or the Beretta A400+ if you like the higher style rib like a Benelli.

In my opinion, the SBE3 handles, swings and shoot better than the A400. However, it doesn't shoot nearly as soft.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax