Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2022 Nitro Z21 XL Walkaround w/KVD

2. Member
    Im curious what the real word difference in ride and top end speed is. I do love the layout, honestly think this is the perfect layout.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Im curious what the real word difference in ride and top end speed is. I do love the layout, honestly think this is the perfect layout.
    I'll let you know in a few weeks.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffytilly View Post
    I'll let you know in a few weeks.
    �� good to hear real world, non marketing feedback. Really considering going to the new 21 footer, especially if the top end is better.

5. Member
    My boat has been delayed a few weeks due to factory floor shut down for a week and now waiting on parts. Not certain what parts but hear it may be computer chips of some sort. Hopefully I'll have my new 2022 X21 XL on the water by end of the month. I'll provide feedback and thoughts on my experience.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavL View Post
    My boat has been delayed a few weeks due to factory floor shut down for a week and now waiting on parts. Not certain what parts but hear it may be computer chips of some sort. Hopefully I'll have my new 2022 X21 XL on the water by end of the month. I'll provide feedback and thoughts on my experience.
    David, When did you order your boat? Thanks.

7. Member
    Ordered the boat on May 29. Build started as scheduled on July 6 in the Clinton MO factory. Lost about two weeks due to factory floor closure for cleaning and then supply issue on some parts. Not entirely sure but, both sound like Covid related problems. Boat was in shipping status on Aug 9. Boat arrived at the BPS in Ashland VA on Aug 11. I have been informed that I can't take delivery for about 1-2 weeks due to final paperwork needed to release it including MSO (Manufacture's Statement of Origin). There is final rigging needed for the PP and Active Target. The rest was all factory build and rig. While waiting on parts in factory I was informed my boat was #7 out of about 56 boats in some stage of build in the factory. So my best estimate is, current build capacity appears to be around 50-60 boats averaging 1-2 weeks build time depending on model, options and rigging requirements. Thats about 1,500 to 2,200 boats out of Clinton MO factory every year.

Summary for 2022 Z21 Pro XL in weeks:

From Order date to Build start: about 6 weeks
    Build: about 2 weeks
    Parts and Factory Cleaning delay: about 3 weeks
    Load Plan and Shipping: about 1 week
    Paperwork, Final Rigging and Delivery by BPS: about 1-2 weeks (current state for mine)

Total time from order to delivery approx: 13-14 weeks

8. Member
    Ordered the boat on May 29. Build started as scheduled on July 6 in the Clinton MO factory. Lost about two weeks due to factory floor closure for cleaning and then supply issue on some parts. Not entirely sure but, both sound like Covid related problems. Boat was in shipping status on Aug 9. Boat arrived at the BPS in Ashland VA on Aug 11. I have been informed that I can't take delivery for about 1-2 weeks due to final paperwork needed to release it including MSO (Manufacture's Statement of Origin). There is final rigging needed for the PP and Active Target. The rest was all factory build and rig. While waiting on parts in factory I was informed my boat was #7 out of about 56 boats in some stage of build in the factory. So my best estimate is, current build capacity appears to be around 50-60 boats averaging 1-2 weeks build time depending on model, options and rigging requirements. Thats about 1,500 to 2,200 boats out of Clinton MO factory every year.

Summary for 2022 Z21 Pro XL in weeks:

From Order date to Build start: about 6 weeks
    Build: about 2 weeks
    Parts and Factory Cleaning delay: about 3 weeks
    Load Plan and Shipping: about 1 week
    Paperwork, Final Rigging and Delivery by BPS: about 1-2 weeks (current state for mine)

Total time from order to delivery approx: 13-14 weeks
    Thanks David. That was a really good timeline.

9. Member
    Update & you are welcome.
    Just got back from BPS visit to look at boat. Hope to be able to take delivery in about a week. Great people down there at the BPS. My boat happens to be the very first 2022 Z21 XL to arrive there. The boat is actually better than I expected and is 100% all new 2022 XL version (I ordered almost on the day they switched model years so wasn't sure what top cap I would have - total great luck was all). Active target option was factory install along with Lowrance 12" live units on bow and console as well as GPS puck on bow. Ghost TM looks awesome. Cockpit has a glued in thick mat similar to Seadek product - really nice. Only BPS rigging needed is the optional 8' Power poles I ordered and they hope to do that tomorrow. Service manager said only need about 2 days to complete rigging, adjustments to locks etc, and boat clean up. Including a few pics pre clean-up and final rigging from today's visit.IMG_1181.jpegIMG_1182.jpegIMG_1178.jpegIMG_1180.jpeg

10. Member
    Just got back from BPS visit to look at boat. Hope to be able to take delivery in about a week. Great people down there at the BPS. My boat happens to be the very first 2022 Z21 XL to arrive there. The boat is actually better than I expected and is 100% all new 2022 XL version (I ordered almost on the day they switched model years so wasn't sure what top cap I would have - total great luck was all). Active target option was factory install along with Lowrance 12" live units on bow and console as well as GPS puck on bow. Ghost TM looks awesome. Cockpit has a glued in thick mat similar to Seadek product - really nice. Only BPS rigging needed is the optional 8' Power poles I ordered and they hope to do that tomorrow. Service manager said only need about 2 days to complete rigging, adjustments to locks etc, and boat clean up. Including a few pics pre clean-up and final rigging from today's visit.IMG_1181.jpegIMG_1182.jpegIMG_1178.jpegIMG_1180.jpeg
    Looks beautiful. But now you're killing me. I'm in the waiting mode. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

11. Member
    Love the lighter carpeting, one thing I would change to go from my dark grey to a light grey for summer heat, gets mighty hot down here in the GA summer sun.

12. Member
    Broke in the Z21 XL this weekend. It ran great. Really nice boat. A few thoughts and items to share.
    1. Kudos to the BPS team in Ashland VA for all their help. All boats have small issues and their response and assurance to make everything right makes all the difference.
    2. Get Vessel View Mobile and a friend to help while doing the motor break-in. Running at various RPM and keeping track of time is tedious.
    3. Give yourself time to learn it all. I came out of an older 18' Nitro. This new boat runs differently and has a ton more features.
    4. I am new to Lowrance. Having used Humminbird's for many years there is a learning curve. Seek some help with configuration and how everything is installed.
    5. Nitro has improved the trailers Hopefully it will stand the test of time.
    6. The boat is better than I expected. A lot of storage - unreal space. If you ordered the lighting option it includes underwater transom light that changes color with deck.

The small issues I have had and all are being addressed by BPS. Nothing here that will keep me off the water.
    1. The cover did not arrive with the boat. Not sure the wait. I have a Z20 loaner cover but it is about 2 feet short so have to use an ugly tarp for now.
    2. Trailer jack stand has a plastic cover around the metal crank that was broken. Looks like it allows handle to snap onto jack when in up position. Cheap plastic junk IMHO
    3. One of the lid cam locks has a bent threaded bolt that allows the latch to engage the hatch opening. The locks function but if you live in a bad area get some better locks.
    4. The plastic cover to the brake reservoir broke and is now missing. The reservoir plug is still there. I think the surge brake knocked it loose.
    5. There is a cut in the fabric dash just above the steering wheel hub. Not sure how that happen but looks like a razor knife cut.
    6. Active target is wired to the console unit so need to be certain it is on to be able to see AT on bow unit. Just an item that stumped us for a bit at the shop.
    7. Unable to see 3 in 1 transducer so no SI. All units need a lot of time to configure unless you are a pro with Lowrance and new tech.

Light gray carpet is better but still hot. My fishing pal did not want to wear shoes on my new boat but had to put them on when sun got overhead and in the 90's. LOL

Any speeds yet?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Only had it up to 65 so far at WOT run at about 5500 RPM during break-in (60 sec max run). Motor was trimmed down a bit so still more speed in her.

15. Member
    7962711_20210723051911915_1_XLARGE.jpg Picked up my Z21xl Pro yesterday - 250ProXS 4s, 12" Atlas, Wheel package, Lumbar-air-seat (not the Cruise-air), 2x12" HDS+Active Target, Ghost, custom color (Dealer called it Granite sort of black-silver flake) ...didn't order it, found it at a semi-local dealer - and was pretty much what I wanted.

Put 2.9 hours on it today - very impressed so far. Coming out of a 2011 Z8 with 250ProXS 2S - it is a very different ride for sure but in a good way, the 250 ProsXS 4S is awesome. Bigger but super smooth and solid feeling. I loved my Z8 but this is a different boat for sure. Pretty rough conditions - so didn't get much opportunity to open it up after the 2hr mark - but did hit 67.8 pretty easily with decent amount of gear and probably 42-44 gallons of fuel (started out with 56+ gallons) and was still pulling hard just ran out of room. Feel pretty confident it will be a low 70s boat. Not crazy about the rod tubes - but plan to dig in and see what it will take to pull them (first glance I didn't see an easy way out). I like the foam floor but I already have some type of stain on it...got to get broken in sometime I guess. So much more room than my Z8 so will take some time figuring out how to organize my gear. I trailer a lot - and it tows WAY better than my Z8 - I did have some wheel/rim issues on the old boat but had swapped the shackles last year - same as on the water the Z21 feels little bigger but much smoother towing.

Future updates - will be adding 8ft Blades, Second Console (for my 80 yr old dad) - likely the removable center seat (I fish 3 quite a bit)...

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

16. Member
    Got a couple more hours on the motor today - continuing to get used to the boat and how it runs. With 40 gallons+ of fuel and 450lbs+ of humans easily ran 68.5 mph with more to go. The Rod Tubes came out no problem - 4 screws across the top of the locker - literally a 1 minute deal with a drill driver. The ride is awesome. The center step/compartment lid is supposed to rest on small foam pads - but they are slightly off so when you step on it - it is "gelcoat on gelcoat" rubbing (not good) - I tried some foam weather stripping but that didn't work (adhesive didn't stick well enough) on the search for something else. Also check your bolts/screws on the front trailer storage box - as they weren't tight at all on mine - easy fix on that one though.

Not specifically related to the boat itself but how it was rigged (Factory) from a Lowrance perspective - the AT box is installed with the Ethernet cable running to the Console unit first - then Ethernet to the Bow. I am getting "No Source" every couple of minutes - on my Z8 I had the AT Box running to my Structure Scan 3D box then out to both console and bow units and not sure I ever had the "No Source" error. I updated everything to latest firmware - but no changes - my guess is there is lag (for some reason) from the console unit so time to re-rig...

I am going to rig everything the same way I had my on Z8 (I pulled some gear out and setup a basic Lowrance install before the Z8 was sold) - re-installing dedicated electronics power, Point-1, 3DBox - and this time a dedicated AT HDS Live on the bow. There are quite a few Lowrance settings that are a little goofy too - from Water Temp sources, Global vs. Local on a few things, Transducer selections, etc - fixing those as I run across them. FYI - the AT Transducer is installed BACKWARDS from the Factory - supposedly for the fitment of the Shipping Cover (my dealer didn't know it was backwards) - again these are NOT Z21XL specific but something to watch for if you are coming from electronics other than Lowrance.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

17. Member
    Jonathan - Congratulations on a really nice looking boat. I have had my Z21 xl for a month now and just had the 10 hour service completed and full break is now behind me. It's an awesome boat and great motor. I have the 8ft Blades on mine and really like them . I just added the wireless foot switches this past weekend. I ordered mine with the second console and highly recommend it. Plenty of room for rods on the deck in front of it and never gets in my way when fishing. I know my co-angler really appreciates the wind brake. Agree and appreciate all your recommendations. I do not like the rod tubes and need to get those out of there. Have not explored it closely yet but are screws on top in carpet or under the lid around the tubes? I don't like the way the electronics are rigged same issue with mine. I am new to lowrance and still trying to figure it all out. I keep losing water temp readings and have to reconfigure almost every trip out. also had to move 3-1 ducer to CH2 to be able to get reading. AT looks ok but image should be better I think. My AT is wired like yours ducer to box to console then to Bow. However, but I do not have the source error issue. Perhaps we could chat sometime on the electronics config as I know something is not quite right with the rigging. Also, not sure what you mean about AT ducer being mounted backward. Are you saying it was pointing toward the trolling motor prop rather than forward or that it stows backward? Thanks again for the tips.

18. Member
    Broke in the Z21 XL this weekend. It ran great. Really nice boat. A few thoughts and items to share.
    1. Kudos to the BPS team in Ashland VA for all their help. All boats have small issues and their response and assurance to make everything right makes all the difference.
    2. Get Vessel View Mobile and a friend to help while doing the motor break-in. Running at various RPM and keeping track of time is tedious.
    3. Give yourself time to learn it all. I came out of an older 18' Nitro. This new boat runs differently and has a ton more features.
    4. I am new to Lowrance. Having used Humminbird's for many years there is a learning curve. Seek some help with configuration and how everything is installed.
    5. Nitro has improved the trailers Hopefully it will stand the test of time.
    6. The boat is better than I expected. A lot of storage - unreal space. If you ordered the lighting option it includes underwater transom light that changes color with deck.

The small issues I have had and all are being addressed by BPS. Nothing here that will keep me off the water.
    1. The cover did not arrive with the boat. Not sure the wait. I have a Z20 loaner cover but it is about 2 feet short so have to use an ugly tarp for now.
    2. Trailer jack stand has a plastic cover around the metal crank that was broken. Looks like it allows handle to snap onto jack when in up position. Cheap plastic junk IMHO
    3. One of the lid cam locks has a bent threaded bolt that allows the latch to engage the hatch opening. The locks function but if you live in a bad area get some better locks.
    4. The plastic cover to the brake reservoir broke and is now missing. The reservoir plug is still there. I think the surge brake knocked it loose.
    5. There is a cut in the fabric dash just above the steering wheel hub. Not sure how that happen but looks like a razor knife cut.
    6. Active target is wired to the console unit so need to be certain it is on to be able to see AT on bow unit. Just an item that stumped us for a bit at the shop.
    7. Unable to see 3 in 1 transducer so no SI. All units need a lot of time to configure unless you are a pro with Lowrance and new tech.

Light gray carpet is better but still hot. My fishing pal did not want to wear shoes on my new boat but had to put them on when sun got overhead and in the 90's. LOL
    10 hour Break-in and First Service Update:
    Overall the boat continues to meet or exceed all my expectations. Electronics configuration and rigging remain my main area of issue and focus.

The GOOD!
    1. The BPS team in Ashland VA have been awesome. Can't say enough good things about them. Both the sales and services teams have been great.
    2. The Merc 250 Pro XS is a beast. Easy break-in and great engine package. Boat is quick and easy to plane and drives with little effort. Handles rough water and wakes beautifully.
    3. Trailer handles well at all speeds. Light-year improvement over my 2004. I love the bow step up and the storage box is a great addition. Check tire air pressure often and ensure within 5 psi of tire recommended pressure.
    4. No trailer hub issue they are now all metal hubs now. Be careful of hitting curbs in turns and don't use as steps to get on to boat.
    5. The new cover is the best I have ever had or seen. Expensive option but worth every penny. Be careful not to ratchet down too tight as it can break windscreen.
    6. BPS has addressed every open item noted in small issues above.
    7. Boat storage is massive.
    8. Lithium Batteries are the best.
    9. The Dowco air ride seat is a must have and will never own a boat without something like it or better. A real game changer if older or have back issues like me.
    10. I really like the cockpit pad. Nice add.
    11. Love the Ghost TM. Awesome product and great service.
    12. Best livewells I have ever had.
    13. Ice cooler is massive.

Thoughts and recommendations:
    1. I don't like the rod tubs in port locker so they will be coming out. It's a pain trying to thread the rods into and out of the tubs. Even the larger tube openings are not easy to use. The butt end works ok.
    2. The rubber deck rod straps are ok but I miss my retractable straps so will plan to change that out in the future.
    3. Electronics are a major struggle if new to Lowrance products. A lot to learn and config seems odd and not quite right. Wish BPS had an expert who could help guide and support with config. They didn't have a diagram or recommendations sheet for it all. I did my own diagram and will share it here. Best of knowledge it is how my boat is currently configured.
    4. The deck padding is a bit of a surprise to me. It only covers about half the front deck up to where the locker box lids start. When I redid the carpet on my previous Nitro I padded the entire deck front and rear as well as the cockpit area. The lids were a pain but not impossible. You have to do a 45 degree angle to ensure they open properly but worth all the extra trouble. I would have paid more for the option to have the deck fully padded.
    5. You will need a rigging sock and/or protective vinyl tape to protect gel coat from engine rigging tube. Amazon sells 8" wide vinyl tape.
    6. Recommend clear protective vinyl tape for gel coat under lids. Amazon sells 1" & 2" sizes.
    7. Recommend thin foam tape under step up lid to back deck. Amazon has real thin 1/8" thick foam roll.
    8. I have broken two after-market trailer coupler locking pins. Still looking for one that will stand up to the surge brake. The one that comes with the trailer works but does not lock trailer to ball.
    9. I have used 2 different motor totes and the nitro included transom saver. Not yet fully satisfied with any of them. I may go with the DD26. Pricey but heard only good things.
    10. I purchased the Ghost TM remote but have been unable to get it to pair properly. Still working on that issue.
    11. Bait hooks and magnets under the center box lids are nice but have failed to hold baits in rough water. Attachment 465321

19. Member
    10 hour Break-in and First Service Update:
    Overall the boat continues to meet or exceed all my expectations. Electronics configuration and rigging remain my main area of issue and focus.

The GOOD!
    1. The BPS team in Ashland VA have been awesome. Can't say enough good things about them. Both the sales and services teams have been great.
    2. The Merc 250 Pro XS is a beast. Easy break-in and great engine package. Boat is quick and easy to plane and drives with little effort. Handles rough water and wakes beautifully.
    3. Trailer handles well at all speeds. Light-year improvement over my 2004. I love the bow step up and the storage box is a great addition. Check tire air pressure often and ensure within 5 psi of tire recommended pressure.
    4. No trailer hub issue they are now all metal hubs now. Be careful of hitting curbs in turns and don't use as steps to get on to boat.
    5. The new cover is the best I have ever had or seen. Expensive option but worth every penny. Be careful not to ratchet down too tight as it can break windscreen.
    6. BPS has addressed every open item noted in small issues above.
    7. Boat storage is massive.
    8. Lithium Batteries are the best.
    9. The Dowco air ride seat is a must have and will never own a boat without something like it or better. A real game changer if older or have back issues like me.
    10. I really like the cockpit pad. Nice add.
    11. Love the Ghost TM. Awesome product and great service.
    12. Best livewells I have ever had.
    13. Ice cooler is massive.

Thoughts and recommendations:
    1. I don't like the rod tubs in port locker so they will be coming out. It's a pain trying to thread the rods into and out of the tubs. Even the larger tube openings are not easy to use. The butt end works ok.
    2. The rubber deck rod straps are ok but I miss my retractable straps so will plan to change that out in the future.
    3. Electronics are a major struggle if new to Lowrance products. A lot to learn and config seems odd and not quite right. Wish BPS had an expert who could help guide and support with config. They didn't have a diagram or recommendations sheet for it all. I did my own diagram and will share it here. Best of knowledge it is how my boat is currently configured.
    4. The deck padding is a bit of a surprise to me. It only covers about half the front deck up to where the locker box lids start. When I redid the carpet on my previous Nitro I padded the entire deck front and rear as well as the cockpit area. The lids were a pain but not impossible. You have to do a 45 degree angle to ensure they open properly but worth all the extra trouble. I would have paid more for the option to have the deck fully padded.
    5. You will need a rigging sock and/or protective vinyl tape to protect gel coat from engine rigging tube. Amazon sells 8" wide vinyl tape.
    6. Recommend clear protective vinyl tape for gel coat under lids. Amazon sells 1" & 2" sizes.
    7. Recommend thin foam tape under step up lid to back deck. Amazon has real thin 1/8" thick foam roll.
    8. I have broken two after-market trailer coupler locking pins. Still looking for one that will stand up to the surge brake. The one that comes with the trailer works but does not lock trailer to ball.
    9. I have used 2 different motor totes and the nitro included transom saver. Not yet fully satisfied with any of them. I may go with the DD26. Pricey but heard only good things.
    10. I purchased the Ghost TM remote but have been unable to get it to pair properly. Still working on that issue.
    11. Bait hooks and magnets under the center box lids are nice but have failed to hold baits in rough water. Attachment 465321
    Thanks for the update. Any ideas on speed? Just curious how it compares to the last z21 hull

20. Member
    DavL -

Rod Tubes - the screws are along the top edge inside the locker - there is a cleat/flat strap on the top (ceiling) of the rod locker (just under the lip) where the screws attach. Again it is a 1 minute deal to pull them out.
    Lowrance AT - Yes, the Transducer was mounted backwards/behind the TM shaft but facing forward (sort of) - while it might work in that position for Forward and Down, you can't use Scout/Perspective mode - also I didn't test it but Forward might be blocked partially by TM shaft - Another 5 minute swap to mount it correctly.

General Updates -
    I started re-rigging the Lowrance gear tonight for a trip this weekend - so some of this will be temporary. Pulled front panel/gimbal off - very nice notches built into fiberglass for cable routing - there was already a pre-wired power setup with in-line fuse for my second bow unit (I will be installing dedicated power later - still waiting for a few parts). Ran the Ethernet from AT Box to bow. Hopefully this will help the "No Source" issue - but not sure yet. I will eventually use my 3D box as an Ethernet hub for AT (same as I had in my Z8). I am running BBT Gimbals and a Bridge over the TM pedal well. If you fish rough water at all the Factory HDS Live 12 gimbals can/will bend - ask me how I know - the BBT gimbals are very robust.

Step up box - I found some rubber edge banding (McMaster-Carr) for the step lid - so no more gelcoat-on-gelcoat squeaking.

Splash well/Rigging Tube - I used some helicopter style clear protective tape under rigging tube/cables - definitely needed OR cable wrap (or both).

Ghost Directional arrow - Arrow was sticking, pulled cover off and the Teflon dot was NOT centered (or even close) - re-centered it and hopefully that fixes it.

Ghost Lift Assist shock - The lift assist shock was DOA (I had/have a Ghost on my Z8 and the lift assist worked great on it) - talked to Lowrance CS and ordered a new one under warranty of course - but they are out of stock right now.

Still some more items to straighten out and setup the way I like but it is getting there.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast