Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Mcjenson - I have only had her up to 67 thus far. A lot more in her so I know it will get into 70's. I need a calm day on the lake. I don't trust the Potomac river as it is often rough and there can be a lot of subsurface junk after it rains hard. Had a friend who did $25K damage to his penta pods on his 44 ft Galleon last year hitting a log. I'll post speed updates when I can.

I'm gonna go help a customer get his electronics setup this weekend. Brand new so no speeds. 2022 Nitro XL
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Check the factory AT install/rigging. Checked mine after Jonathan reported his installed backwards. Found the TM clamp installed backwards angled upwards rather than down. After fixing that issue found readings to be much improved and MFD cone orientation to be spot on rather than drifting all over the place. Also removed rod tube from Port locker. Left butt end in place. Simple and a lot better rod access now. Had the boat up to 71mph and running perfect. The boat is very stable, gets on plane fast and is a smooth comfortable ride. Awesome boat.

4. Member
    DavL

71 sounds great...I saw 68.7 this evening running a heavy load. Working through a few of the electronics issues...pleased with new mounts/bridges for bow for 2'HDS 12s. Rough water handling is great...I loved my Z8 but the Z21xl is a different animal.

On the items for dealer to look at...lost the "Z" in the logo on one side, passenger seat sounds like it has a broken bolt or something (lots of creaking)...not Nitro issue but my AT box was definitely flakey - even after software updates - I swapped it with my old AT box and it works like it should...so the one that came with Z21 is going back to Lowrance.

Overall though very pleased.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

5. Member
    Jonathan

Sorry to hear about the logo and seat. No issues for me on those type of items. Most everything seems pretty solid. The center storage area with step up to the back deck was hitting gel to gel at times. Factory only adds two small pads on the corners opposite the hinge. I didn't think that solution was adequate so found some 1/8" foam roll on Amazon and ran that around the entire perimeter where the lid may rub the gel coat. Perfect step-up now.

Tested the live wells this weekend. First fish works great - love that feature. I also purchased the $100 oxygen gen option which works great - totally worth it. There are a lot of screens around the pump ports in the bottom and the O-gen are rather large. The 4.1 lb fish I put in the port well by its self was alive at the end of 5 hours but its nose was torn up a bit. The overflow works perfect. The well is deep but not much room front to back for bigger fish. Also expect some potential scraps and scratches after being in the well for some time.

Forgot to mention but, hit a little over 71mph at about 5700-5800 rpm. I am running the 3-blade Fury 24P prop as delivered from the factory right now. I reported the results to my service team at BPS. The tech said next time in the shop they are going to put it on the computer and check to see if the TPS is opening 100%. If not they will make the adjustments to the hot foot for me.

Like you I am thrilled with the boat. Giant leap forward over my 2004 18' Nitro 882. Service from my BPS has been outstanding.

-Dave

6. Member
    Edwin Evers Z21XL video out -

His next installment is on Speeds - will be interesting.

I just spent multiple days in MN, 2 days on big water in wind/waves and am nothing but pleased so far with rough water performance of this hull (a major reason for leaving my Z8) - both running and on the TM pedal. It is fast to plane/Speed is there, compartments stayed dry (with Rain and plenty of water over the bow), drafts shallow, and easy launch/load. I trailered nearly 2,000 miles over 5 days and again - performance "on-road" is great too - braking, trailering with/without cover on, rough-road handling - all meet or exceed expectations.

Setup to drop off the boat on Saturday - for scheduled motor break-in service, look at few issues and install a some new items - can't wait to get it back for my next trip.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

7. Member
    Jonathan - Like you looking forward to the Edwin Evers video on speed. He sure is excited about his new Z21XL. I know I am.

Great feedback on your trip and good to hear it performed well in all areas. Thanks for sharing.

-Dave

8. Member
    Starting to get used to the boat - had my first Motor service (scheduled) and 8ft Blades installed - had a few warranty items looked at as well - but so far so good.

On the water this weekend - solo with a regular amount of gear and just less than half-tank of fuel - hit 72.8mph, 59xxRPM, 70sAT/78WT - very pleased with top end but the ability of this boat vs. my 2011 Z8 to run well/comfortable even in less than perfect conditions is what strikes me most.

I have been studying the factory wiring for the electronics - and it isn't too bad - but will likely re-wire with dedicated power over the Winter. In my boat the factory wire is pseudo dedicated with 2 runs of 12ga Marine Duplex back to the shared bus bars - that are directly connected to Cranking battery with 2 way Master power switch. The 12 gauge run to the console and bow are split with 2 sets of connections on the end. The console run powers the HDS12 Live and the AT Box, the Bow has a Factory connection for the standard HDS12 Live - but there is also a second (open) connection at the bow for a second unit install (nice work as you know many folks will add a second unit - like I did). The NMEA network is powered off the console punch-down block - so you need to turn on Keypad for NMEA (not great IMHO but not terrible). The Wakeup wire for the AT Box is not hooked up so if the Master power so if it's ON, the AT box is ON - if you forget on a long drive home even with with your Lowrance units OFF - the AT Box will be sitting in the locker getting hot. I put my Point 1 on a raised mount inside console/just under windshield - worked great, no interference and didn't have to drill hole in deck and run an extension (fyi - on my Z8 the Point1 was mounted under the console on the flat spot on top of Dead Pedal and never had any issues with interference).

I have not had any power issues or units flashing with the current setup - the battery is new of course but over the Winter I will probably rewire all electronics off a dedicated fuse block in console (perfect spot for one) - I already have my 8ga wire setup from my Z8, a new power switch, new breaker, and a new Blueseas 12 space fuse block for all units, boxes and NMEA - now just need to get motivated to pull everything (that is working fine) apart.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

9. Member
    I know boats are expensive but I saw Pro's Choice has a Z21 XL which lists for $88,240. I think someone hit select all on the option list.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

10. Member
    Wow, that boat is loaded - 4x12" graphs with BBT mounts - LiveScope - HB360 - Deck lights - looks like 5 batteries - lumbar seat - Atlas - wheel package - Blades - etc - probably not many other options left beyond AirRide seats (swap), a passenger console, MercMonitor Gauge, center seat and maybe a custom color (if that isn't already one).

Related - I know of a similar decked out Ranger 520R on order that was $106k without Blades but some larger graphs. My first house in the early 90s was $52k.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

11. Member
    The good ol' days are long gone for sure. Not sure I could now afford the same 2022 Z21 XL I bought at the end of May this year. Crazy how much and how quick the price has soared. I bought my first brand new 4x4 CJ5 Jeep in 1978 for $6800. I don't think you can barely get a front bumper and winch for that now.

12. Member
    I used to think of Nitro as an entry level boat but my perceptions have changed after owing 2 of them, for the better. I think they have tried to gain an equal footing with other manufacturers but still have a value pricing. The recent price increases have pretty much negated that. My 21 Z18 with a tandem trailer, a 175 and a hot foot and a jack plate installed by the dealer is now about the same price as one with a single axle and a 150 and not much else.
    Last edited by jtrac; 11-12-2021 at 08:37 PM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I used to think of Nitro as an entry level boat but my perceptions have changed after owing 2 of them, for the better. I think they have tried to gain an equal footing with other manufacturers but still have a value pricing. The recent price increases have pretty much negated that. My 21 Z18 with a tandem trailer, a 175 and a hot foot and a jack plate installed by the dealer is now about the same price as one with a single axle and a 150 and not much else.
    They really aren’t much of a value anymore. The skeeter zxr is cheaper and the Phoenix boats are pretty similarly priced. Glad I got mine in 2019 before the big price jumps.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I know boats are expensive but I saw Pro's Choice has a Z21 XL which lists for $88,240. I think someone hit select all on the option list.
    I kind of have a feeling that boat belongs to Blake. He is using it in the NPFL next season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12