Self Directed Trusts

Can anyone explain a Self Directed Trust vs a regular Roth or standard IRA account. My understanding is I own the trust and can put almost anything in the trust including crypto, individual real estate, peer to peer loans, standard mutual funds or ETF's, etc. Being pitched that I own it, vs a Vanguard owning my assets. I do understand I would have more options for alternative investments in the Self Directed Trust, but being told I don't own my assets, that Vanguard does ?

Been skimming some profits off my 401 and doing the cash & gold thing lately. Looking at individual real estate, but the government involvement in the eviction freeze is a major concern.

dvl 2700

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

2. Member
    I have a revocable trust I created and I am the trustee and invest in anything I want. What is the difference between this and a self directed trust they are pitching?

3. Member
    That is the problem, I don't seem to understand, and they seem to not be able to explain the difference other than I can roll over my 401 or IRA to a "self directed trust" that I own, and I can invest in whatever I want. Web site: Equity Trust out of Ohio. Believe it is legit, just don't know if it is all they and a seperate salesperson are making it out to be.

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
    That is the problem, I don't seem to understand, and they seem to not be able to explain the difference other than I can roll over my 401 or IRA to a "self directed trust" that I own, and I can invest in whatever I want. Web site: Equity Trust out of Ohio. Believe it is legit, just don't know if it is all they and a seperate salesperson are making it out to be.

I would get a second opinion especially if it is a tax deferred account. If they can't explain it to you then I would be cautious.

Never invest in anything you do not fully understand.
    Ranger Forever