Pro XS 200 hard to shift into neutral

200 HP Pro XS sn 2B121334. I seem to have an issue with taking the motor out of gear either from forward or reverse. It goes in gear fine but hangs up trying to take it out and I really have to put some pressure on it. This is a new lower unit as Mercury replaced my last one under warranty but I had the same issue with the old one. Noticed that my hot foot doesn't come back the last 1/4 of an inch to the stop bolt. If I turn the nut clockwise on the spring will that bring it the rest of the way and slow the idle down? I idle about 3 to 4 mph now. Thanks.

2. Member
    any rpm increase at idle will cause this adjust hf and cable correctly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

And, a hotfoot that does not properly return to the IDLE position by itself is in fact DANGEROUS.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    So could it be my shifter handle?Seems loose but I am not sure.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6K8PyeLl414?feature=share

5. Member
    could yes sir , dout it though
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Adjust the hotfoot spring to return the hotfoot to idle CONSISTENTLY. Clean any debris or organic materials from around the hotfoot, and lubricate the moving/pivoting parts with a lightweight oil.

That control handle does appear to be loose. Normally caused by a loose retaining bolt and/or plastic bushing/sleeve not properly in place.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Ok to update what I have found so far. The hot foot is fine. RPMs are 600 at idle. Put it on muffs in the driveway and it shifted fine. It seems to be an issue when in the water with the prop spinning. Like there is a lot of pressure on it. I have a Fury 26 pitch. Anything else to look at before I take it to the shop?

8. Member
    if gearcase is under normal one year warrn return to dealer , prop shouldnt be problem , what is max rpm on your set up ? hope its on a ultra light cause thats a giant prop for a 200 5800+ loaded

9. Member
    2010 Stratos 294XLE.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And your SMARTCRAFT Rpm's at WOT?

I agree with Joe- that's a MONSTER high-pitch for that engine/boat combo.

11. Member
    It looks to be running 5500 to 5600. Probably will switch back to my Tempest 26 to see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by gdmks; 09-22-2021 at 12:22 PM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not to sound like a broken record here- but please do confirm that you are using a MERCURY SMARTCRAFT instrument for those figures (which provides a digital readout). NOT an analog gauge (they are notoriously inaccurate).

13. Member
    Final update. Put my old Tempest 26 on and it shifts fine. Hard to think the Fury was that stiff to cause the issue. Will be selling the Fury here soon.

14. Member
    max rpm with 26 TEMPEST ????? LOADED

15. Member
    It looked to be around 5700 on a Merc monitor if I remember right.

16. Member
    lil low one pitch too big