You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix

St Lawrence trip for next year.

Hey folks, I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to fish the St Lawrence next year. It just looks like such a beautiful place and the fishing for all I have seen and heard is amazing!! I have an 18 foot Triton so I am trying to avoid the bigger water. I am wondering if any of you could tell me the better times to visit/fish there and give me some ideas on places areas to stay and ramp locations things like that. I have caught maybe 10 small mouth in my life so I am stoked to come up north and get into some of those you folks have up your way. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

Are you looking to keep your boat on the water during your stay or trailer everyday?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    Honestly doesn't matter either is fine. Or is one better than the other on the St Lawrence??
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

4. Member
    The third Saturday in June starts opening season. I would start close to that as that is close to spawn time I believe. They are easier to catch as they will be shallow.
    Some here may feel different. The pros make it seem easy. It is not!!
    I'm up here now and leaving tomorrow and definitely did not kill them like the pros did. Smallmouth are completely different than largemouth.

5. Member
    Try and go as early into the season as possible. We always do the VRBO or Airbnb thing and look for a protected spot so we can keep our boats in the water all week. This year we were in Chaumont bay, when we stay in the river I like to be between Abay and Chippewa bay. Many more islands and wind/current breaks.

6. Member
    Try Schemmerhorn Harbor they have their own ramp and have very nice cabins.It is the Chippewa bay area.I have been going there for 23 yrs.

If you don't know the waters you can get skunked very easily on that river. The bass spawn in the current and in some of the weed beds making them very hard to catch. You better get a flogger.

Typically the water is moving good that time of year in June so you better have a good trolling motor and battery. You can get 4 ft waves in the river never mind Ontario.

They make it look easy on TV but it is not.

8. Member
    Like others have said, bass opens the 3rd Saturday in June on the US side. Fishing for bass before then on the river (or any northern NY county) is illegal and you can be fined. Now if you go once it opens, you can only fish the US side as Canadian waters don’t open for bass until July. It’s not as easy as the pros make it seem, you really have to put in time to find the fish. If you go there expecting 50 fish days and 30lb limits I think you’ll be coming home dissapointed. For the most part, 15-18lb limits are what most should expect and 10-15 fish days are the most common.

ive fished the river only a handful of times during BFLs and club tournaments, only caught a limit once.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp