Thread: Pickwick

Pickwick

Thinking about going. When would be a good time to go? Never been there and have no idea what, where or when to fish. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    If I were going for the first time I would go in October and/or April.

I have caught more big fish in the months of Feb. and Mar. Than any other months of the year and I am 70 Yrs old now. April is also a good month I don't catch as many big ones in April but numbers are great and I caught my 2nd PB in April .

4. Member
    I was also thinking of making a trip here but in June for some ledge fishing, unless there is a better month. Anyone recommend a good place to stay with wife and 10 yr old daughter? Something with good lake access and a swimming pool for wife and daughter. A cabin would be great like they have at Eufaula if there is anything like that available.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

5. Member
    There is a place called Waterloo Lodge that is great. Does not have a pool but it is real nice.

6. Member
    Waterloo Lodge looks nice, any idea about rates?

7. Member
    I do not have any idea. You will have to contact them for rates.

8. Member
    I’d love to take a trip to pickwick and see my wife catch a lot of nice small mouths. Thinking about mid-October. What kind of fishing am I looking at? Shallow spinnerbaits, crankbaits, topwater, or deep cranking and plastics? And would the Florence area be nice?
    Kind of looking to get away from hurricane Ida devastation for a little while too

9. Member
    I just booked a location in Florence on the Wilson Lake side of the dam.... on the water. We are going Nov 4-8
    If you end up goign to the florence area in Mid October, you will have to let me know how you do. This is our first time, we plan to just stay in the shoals area..... or whatever that creek is called :)
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

10. Member
    Florence would be a great area to stay. The ramp at McFarland Park would be where you would want to launch from. I would suggest using the back ramp. The lake will start falling to winter pool at that time. Be careful going towards the dam at that time. The Smallmouth should be on a feeding frenzy at that time. Top waters and swim baits will be a good choice.

11. Member
    The wife and I are planning to fish pickwick starting next Tuesday and come back home sometime on the weekend. We got our Alabama license today (7 day), and are planning to find a place to stay once we get to Florence. I intend to post the results of our trip along with any pertinent details.

12. Member
    Good Luck Happy Fishing

13. Member
    Staying in Waterloo, and fishing close to the ramp here. Fished a couple of hours yesterday morning because it stormed and caught a couple of largemouth on chrome topwater baits. This morning, Caught 25 largemouths, 15 white bass, and one tiny smallmouth on shad colored rattletrap, chrome top water, and chatterbait. Most of the fish came out of second creek today

Sounds like you figured them out pretty quick. I've caught some big largemouth in Second Creek.

15. Member
    3 largemouths today. Seems that the river came up a foot since yesterday's rain �� The fish were still there, but couldn't get them to cooperate. With the river forecasted to rise more in the next 24 hours, I may drive to McFarland park and fish right below Wilson dam for our last day before going home.

I'm headed to JP Coleman Sunday, will be on the lake a week. Hope to find a few!
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

17. Member
    Fished out of McArthur park in Florence, Alabama today. Caught my PB smallmouth that was 15" on a 3/4 oz chatterbait
    i give kudos to Perkins Tackle and Monty, the owner of Waterloo Lodge, in Waterloo, Alabama for generously providing tips to a first time visitor to pickwick lake. We certainly wouldn't have caught the fish the first day if it hadn't been for them.
    The accommodations were some of the best that we have visited. Well-thought out for the fisherman. Carport that my truck and boat fit comfortably underneath with plenty of electrical outlets, and the 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathroom was clean and well-stocked. There are 2 boat launches 1/2 mile down the road.

Monty Yeager is first class with everything that he does. When he got the idea to build those lodges he said everybody that he talked to tried to talk him out of building them. The company that I retired from furnished most of the building materials for them.

I fished up on Wilson today but it was BAD foggy. It was 9:30 before I could see well enough to leave the harbor. I thought about loading up and putting in at McFarland but I have been on some pretty good fish on Wilson. I'm glad y'all had a good time!

19. Member
    We had such a good time that we're talking about coming back in a few weeks. Will the shad stay in the back of the creeks? We sure do like the shallow water bite and wonder what turns that off on pickwick?