Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I've never seen that knot. I like to use 8lb nanofil main line, and finding a knot where it doesn't cut through fluoro thinner than 10lb has been hard. The FG with 40 wraps will work, but it's hard to tie correctly. I typically have to resort to a double-uni. But that Shin knot, after a few tries to learn how to tie it, it actually held. In fact, the first few tries to cinch it down it broke. I thought "yep, just what I thought would happen" but it wasn't the fluoro breaking. That's impressive.

As for the FG, the only way I've been able to consistently tie it, is with the Brent Ehrler method.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I've never seen that knot. I like to use 8lb nanofil main line, and finding a knot where it doesn't cut through fluoro thinner than 10lb has been hard. The FG with 40 wraps will work, but it's hard to tie correctly. I typically have to resort to a double-uni. But that Shin knot, after a few tries to learn how to tie it, it actually held. In fact, the first few tries to cinch it down it broke. I thought "yep, just what I thought would happen" but it wasn't the fluoro breaking. That's impressive.

As for the FG, the only way I've been able to consistently tie it, is with the Brent Ehrler method.
    IMO, the Shin Fukae knot is every bit as strong as the double-uni, without the bulk and intrusion of the leader tag end protrusion. With a small diameter main line braid to small diameter leaders, it is much easier to tie than the FG, and holds exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by SWbass View Post
    Baitcasting Finesse system/setup
    Apparently different than "BBFS"! Acronyms drive me nuts. I figure if it's important, you should just write it out in full.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post

IMO, the Shin Fukae knot is every bit as strong as the double-uni, without the bulk and intrusion of the leader tag end protrusion. With a small diameter main line braid to small diameter leaders, it is much easier to tie than the FG, and holds exceptionally well.
    Agree 100%. And if I'm honest, it's way easier for me to tie than the uni-to-uni, though that's probably entirely due to the number of times I've tied those respective knots. Practice makes perfect, as they say.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Agree 100%. And if I'm honest, it's way easier for me to tie than the uni-to-uni, though that's probably entirely due to the number of times I've tied those respective knots. Practice makes perfect, as they say.
    I've been trying the double uni since the early 1990s...it's automatic with me, lol. So it serves a purpose tying in low light conditions and when it's windy/rainy/cold/nasty out on the water. Still, the Shin Fukae is superior in so many ways.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post

I use the FG on small lines down to 4 pound mono and have never had a knot slip, just put 10 extra wraps on lighter line. as a matter a fact I was crappie fishing a week ago over a brush pile, 8 pound HI-Vise braid FGed to 4 pound mono using Live Scope. 2 musky swam through, I reeled my bait up above them. Boom . had the fish in the boat in less than 5 mins. The musky I landed was 12 pounds.

7. Member
    Fairly newer to BFS, I've found myself playing with different lines as well, and eventually settled on 6lb braid to 4lb mono with an FG knot. Rarely do I use mono, but have been happy with it as a leader for BFS fishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12