Small Power Steering Leak

Serial No. 1B474133 - 2007 Verado L6 225

I installed a new steering cylinder this spring and despite that, every time I trailer the boat I get a very small leak (less than a teaspoon) of power steering fluid that drips onto the deflector plate below the pedestal. I greased the main o-ring to hold it in place while installing the steering cylinder and torqued the bolts to spec. I don't expect small leaks are normal, what did I miss in the install ?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What part number cylinder did you install, and where was it purchased from?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Mercury Outboard 8M0118141 Power Steering Cylinder Kit purchased from PartsVu in Florida.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Here's where it gets a bit interesting:

OEM Mercury Parts and Accessories that are purchased by a retail consumer from an Authorized Mercury Dealer are covered by Mercury's ONE YEAR Parts and Accessories Warranty (against defects in materials or workmanship).

Contact PartsVu and see if they can handle a warranty claim for it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks, I suspect from the small size of the leak that the cylinder is probably fine and the o-ring that fits between the cylinder and the motor mount facing (a part probably worth 7 cents manufactured by the thousands) is probably the issue.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If that's proven to be the case, simply replace the o-ring. Part# 880667.

Note: You would normally note the leakage from the front of the pedestal (around or below the cylinder), rather than from the bottom of the pedestal.

7. Member
    Bottom of the cylinder is where it's coming from. I may have described the location incorrectly in my initial post. O-ring is easy to change.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar