Golf ball hit by lightning maybe????

What says you.. Did the ball actually get hit or did the pole just directly behind it get hit and its a bit of an illusion? Ive read both ideas. I would think its the pole as lightning is attracted to ground and the ball isnt grounded. What says the BBC experts.

2. Member
    Lightning is electricity of course. Electricity needs a complete path to conduct. Lightning doesn't know that. After all it has enough energy to jump a 10,000 foot gap, and it obeys the rules it likes and ignores the ones it doesn't.
    If it wants to hit that ball, it can if it feels like doing it. If that kid had a graphite shaft club in his hands, he's lucky to have hands left.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Lightning is electricity of course. Electricity needs a complete path to conduct. Lightning doesn't know that. After all it has enough energy to jump a 10,000 foot gap, and it obeys the rules it likes and ignores the ones it doesn't.
    If it wants to hit that ball, it can if it feels like doing it. If that kid had a graphite shaft club in his hands, he's lucky to have hands left.
    Thats why my thinking tells me its hitting the pole and not the ball. Because it would typically be attracted to the easiest path of resistance to ground which I would think is the pole. Especially if it were wet from rain.

But like you said lightning does what it wants at times. I dunno just interesting to me.

4. Banned
    The boy put some mojo on that drive!

5. Member
    Don’t airplanes get hit by lightening while in the air? Never saw a ground wire on them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Don’t airplanes get hit by lightening while in the air? Never saw a ground wire on them.
    i believe so... but you dont see them crash or catch on fire like what that ball or pole did. At least not that im aware of.

I dont know just interesting to me.

7. Member
    Nobody caught the tidbit about the ball’s speed? At 88mph and energized by lightning, that ball went Back To The Future!

I know the balls at TopGolf have RFID tech in them. I didn’t know they had a mini flux capacitor, too
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    Nobody caught the tidbit about the ball’s speed? At 88mph and energized by lightning, that ball went Back To The Future!

I know the balls at TopGolf have RFID tech in them. I didn’t know they had a mini flux capacitor, too
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH Well done!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    It seems lime in the pictures I've seen, the lightning continues to the ground after hitting the plane. In this case it seems like the lightning stops so my guess is it hit a pole.

10. Member
    If you look close. . . it is Lewstule in a UAP testing some new weaponry.

11. Member
    I don't think it hit the ball. Yes lightning has hit airplanes before, but they are made of metal and very electrically conductive. Lightning hits trees and wood poles that are not electrically conductive, but they are the easiest way to "ground". The ball is not electrically conductive or a way to "ground". If it hit the ball, it should have traveled through the ball and continued to "ground".

With the way people can edit videos now, I would believe that the lightning hit the pole behind the ball and they edited the video to move the ball to the point of lightning.

12. Member
    There is a leader and a now because of a few pictures they believe a trailer comes up from the ground a short ways called a travelling spark. The clouds are negative charge and the earth positive and whatever is in between that is a better conductor than air will get used in the connection between cloud and ground. You see pictures of people's hair standing up and that is the positive charge building up on the ground and in them! That should be their clue to find cover NOW! Just like fishing line floating in the air. Get the H--l out of there. Whatever is the highest or best connection point [path of least resistance] will get hit. One rule with lightning is it has no rules! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

13. Member