Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Well it’s starting now, he said all he did was change the plugs, but I put new plugs in May. Not sure why new plugs made the difference ��*♂️

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hmmm... often does, but quite likely there's another underlying problem (those pressure tests should now be taken via the RUNNING ENGINE method):

-At Idle

-Under Acceleration

-5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown (restart engine for each test).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bassseeker View Post
    Well it’s starting now, he said all he did was change the plugs, but I put new plugs in May. Not sure why new plugs made the difference ��*♂️
    Something caused the old plugs to foul to the point of failure in 3 months. You may have fixed the issue but not the problem.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    @europeanAM Yes will get it done next week

5. Member
    @Bryanmc57, that's what I'm afraid of

6. Member
    me too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Well folks, part 2. didn't have a chance to take the boat to the mechanic to get tested as I had major issues with my trailer (always something). However did fish a tournament 2 weeks ago and the motor ran well. Fished another tournament yesterday and when my number got called I stepped on the pedal and the motor died. Like before it turns but wont start. Did notice that my primer bulb was very soft, would not keep it's pressure. a friend of mine told me he had the same issue and it ended up being a coil. Does that make any sense? Thanks guys

8. Member
    not really probly 2 diff running conditions ,results of fuel psi tests , requested above
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    So my second mechanic did all the test and tells me they're all within the specs

10. Member
    When you pulled your plugs out, were all of them sooty black. Were they wet and sooty? Trying to figure out if you have fuel or spark problem. Also when you have the crank no start, does the engine cough when you are cranking ( trying to start ) or does it just crank like there is no spark?

11. Member
    So the plugs this time were. The motor now starts

Quote Originally Posted by bassseeker View Post
    So the plugs this time were.
    Were what?

13. Member
    ^^^^^^^+1

14. Member
    sorry, the plugs were good, not too dirty

So, what was the problem, or is it still a "no start"?

16. Member
    The problem now is when I’m idling waiting for my take off number, once it’s called and I go to step on it the motor stalls. Also noticed when it happens that my bulb is very soft and very difficult to restart the engine

17. Member
    fuel psi tests /replaced pulse pump diaphram lately???????

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On that particular start-up, had you pumped the bulb firm BEFORE starting the engine? This is a very important question....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    @EuropeenAM never did before but lately I do when I start it first thing in the morning. The routine now is I pump it first thing in the morning, let the engine warm up before I leave the dock. Once I get to the tournament headquarters I shut it off, boat is checked then start it and it idles until they call my number. Once number is called I goose it to leave but it dies and can not start it again for the day. This happened the last 2 tournaments. So what I did this weekend, I pumped my bulb and started it 5 numbers prior to mine, it was rough taking off but eventually cleared up. The rest of the day the bulb was pumped before starting up

20. Member
    pulse pump sounds weak to me not filling vst at idle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast