Thread: Boat mooring

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher View Post
    find the next closest one
    I guess I will park my truck in your garage at the next hail storm! You can go park next door using that logic.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    I guess I will park my truck in your garage at the next hail storm! You can go park next door using that logic.
    That's not really an apples to apples comparison. First you already have shelter being in your vehicle unless it's a soft top convertible and second that isn't life threatening to you as if being out in the open water is. Some of you guys, really! Guess if we were in a war and you didn't dig the foxhole and you were being fired on you can't use it!

There is a tad bit of a difference between being in a vehicle during a hail storm and getting caught on the lake during a thunderstorm. One is property damage, the other is possibly fatal. I’d rather deal with auto insurance than have someone’s family deal with life insurance.

4. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    If you weren't tied to or physically tgouching his dock I don't believe that he has any legal right to ask you to leave. I think I would though if requested, common courtesy. If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd not only allow but encourage someone to take shelter during a storm

5. Member
    My point is being missed I'm sorry! I guess I will be the one stuck out on my boat in the storm because someone beat me back to my home dock. Now if someone needs to tie off to the dock and get under cover they are more than welcome, but to be told I need to go some place else will not get it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    In that situation who cares what the laws are. First priority is your safety! Deal with anything else after the danger passes. Can't believe this has to be explained to anyone as it should be common sense.
    It has been explained to me that it works like jpt7779 said. Most people are reasonable but some aren't. I would guess there are folks that would draw down on someone if they didn't leave when asked...
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

7. Member
    My point is being missed I'm sorry! I guess I will be the one stuck out on my boat in the storm because someone beat me back to my home dock. Now if someone needs to tie off to the dock and get under cover they are more than welcome, but to be told I need to go some place else will not get it.
    How likely is that going to happen? If it does then just take cover on a nearby available dock. If none available, beach your boat and seek safety! Lightening doesn't care about rules and laws and what not.

8. Member
    How is tying up to a dock getting you out of getting struck by lightning?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    If someone was sheltering from a storm I’d help them tie up and tell them to come up to the house. Bass boat, wake boat, jet ski. I don’t care. Pretty shitty thing to send someone into a dangerous situation. But....we all know how some people are. And crap happens. Storms pop up without warning. Been there, done that, and I pay attention to the weather.

10. Member
    well, you are fishing and a storm blows in, the idea is to hit the closest dock for shelter

if you are already fishing near your own dock or house you could just go home. Don't think that another boat would try to beat you to your own dock when you are both right there

obviously you live on the lake, has anything like that ever happened?
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher View Post
    well, you are fishing and a storm blows in, the idea is to hit the closest dock for shelter

if you are already fishing near your own dock or house you could just go home. Don't think that another boat would try to beat you to your own dock when you are both right there

obviously you live on the lake, has anything like that ever happened?
    lake?
    How do I "just go home" when I have no place to dock because another boat is in my slip? And why do I need to be near my own dock when I return from the lake? I guess I'm losing my common sense in my old age.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdfisherman1995 View Post
    in south dakota no problem his dock is on public water if i wanted to i could step off my boat and fish from his dock if i wanted to perfectly legal. i could also walk right up on their shoreline and fish if i wanted. as all of our lakes have a 6 ft easment above high water mark for public access. was told this by several game wardens and sheriffs.
    I would look into this before I tried any of it, if I were you. A dock, although placed on public waters, is still private property. And...there is no such thing as a "6ft above HWM easement". In SD, you have meandered and non meandered lakes. A meandered lake is as public as public can be, but property owners have legal claim to the average high water mark, which is the level of the lake when it was initially surveyed. If the water is below that, you can step on shore up to the HWM. Beyond that, you're tresspassing. Regarding non meandered lakes...you cannot legally touch any ground above or below the water level. Deeded property boundaries extend beneath the water...and legally...if you are in a boat above that property without permission, you are tresspassing. The last part is fairly new.

13. Member
    Pretty sure dude meant HE would find the next closest dock...not that you as the dock owner needed to find the next closet dock...could of saved yourself some unneeded arguing lol...

14. Member
    lake?
    How do I "just go home" when I have no place to dock because another boat is in my slip? And why do I need to be near my own dock when I return from the lake? I guess I'm losing my common sense in my old age.
    most people won't make a long run in a storm, but you may be different. I'm done
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

15. Member
    I was told, that in the event of an emergency, you are required to provide use of your dock to provide assistence. The same as recovering passengers from a boating accident.

16. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    I was told, that in the event of an emergency, you are required to provide use of your dock to provide assistence. The same as recovering passengers from a boating accident.
    Pretty sad that we are living in a society where it needs to be a law to provide assistance to someone in distress

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I would look into this before I tried any of it, if I were you. A dock, although placed on public waters, is still private property. And...there is no such thing as a "6ft above HWM easement". In SD, you have meandered and non meandered lakes. A meandered lake is as public as public can be, but property owners have legal claim to the average high water mark, which is the level of the lake when it was initially surveyed. If the water is below that, you can step on shore up to the HWM. Beyond that, you're tresspassing. Regarding non meandered lakes...you cannot legally touch any ground above or below the water level. Deeded property boundaries extend beneath the water...and legally...if you are in a boat above that property without permission, you are tresspassing. The last part is fairly new.
    thats why i posted in my post that i have been told that by several game wardens and sheriffs. as we have had dock owners call and hey warden sides with us.

18. Member
    I've had to escape storms three times on days when the forecast was clear, all 3 times I had my family in the boat and took shelter in open slips at marinas. All three times I went into the marina to let them know the situation and that i'd be leaving as soon as the storm ended. Once, the storm did end, but the heavy rain continued, my truck and trailer were at the other end of the 19,000 acre lake, the marina owner said I could leave it in the slip overnight for free since it wasn't reserved or otherwise spoken for. I took him up on his offer and the next day gave him $20 in appreciation.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdfisherman1995 View Post
    thats why i posted in my post that i have been told that by several game wardens and sheriffs. as we have had dock owners call and hey warden sides with us.
    You've been misinformed. Everyone that talks about this always says the same..."the wardens...
    The sherriffs...". If that is even true, they're wrong. Not every LEO knows every law. You're welcome to educate yourself on your state laws, then you can inform your friendly game wardens of the facts.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    You've been misinformed. Everyone that talks about this always says the same..."the wardens...
    The sherriffs...". If that is even true, they're wrong. Not every LEO knows every law. You're welcome to educate yourself on your state laws, then you can inform your friendly game wardens of the facts.
    So let me get this straight:

If you are caught in a lighting storm or high winds situation you are going to consider what available shelter areas are legal for you to do so or go to the closest and safest cover available? Me: I'm going to the closest and safest available option without even considering if it is legal or not that's your survival instinct at work!

How many of you also have CWP's and don't go into stores with them. Seems like the common response is it is better to be arrested or fined than carried by six if something were to go wrong but yet you are more scared of possibly trespassing during a bad storm when the homeowner is likely hunkered down inside there homes anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast