SI, DI, and Mega 360 Images While Trolling Through Large School of Stripers

I posted these two screen captures, snapshotted simultaneously on my Solix 15 and Solix 12, in a thread I started about using the Mega 360 while trolling for Stripers. It doesn't take a lot of interpretation to know that this is a lot of fish but I thought those who follow this "Image Interpretation" forum would be interested.

I had seen the beginning of the school at the edge of the 80' Mega 360 range at between 10:00 and 11:00 on the previous sweep (sort of like the small school at the same position on the current sweep) so I changed course and trolled through the middle of them... A lot of fish!

Since I'm only interested in fish in the water column and not the bottom or structure when I'm trolling at 2.5 MPH, I keep the Chart Speed at 10 and the Mega 360 Sweep speed at the highest setting as well. The mega 360 quicker refresh speed is more important to me than getting a more refined picture at a slower sweep speed. Since I'm trolling at 2.5 MPH, you will notice that the Mega 360 sweep compresses the fish on the left side and elongates the fish on the right side. Also, I run the Mega 360 at 455 KHZ to get the best range and ability pick up more objects in the water column, while I run the SI & DI at the standard Mega frequency CHIRP range.

Finally, there was a thermocline starting at about 25' and I had the contrast turned up to about 14 to tune it out on the SI and DI views so that makes the images more harsh and grainy than normal. You will also notice on the DI view (which still shows a light image of the thermocline) that all the fish are above the thermocline.

Let me know if you have any questions or additional observations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 08-03-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Member
    I wish that I could get into a school of stripers like that. My lake only has hybrid stripers , and the bigger fish fish took a severe hit two years ago.

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiper View Post
    I wish that I could get into a school of stripers like that. My lake only has hybrid stripers , and the bigger fish fish took a severe hit two years ago.
    The same thing happened on my home lake. The lake record Rockfish is 42 pounds but that was back in the 80s. In the late 90s there was a kill-off for some reason. Now you are very lucky to get a 30 pounder. I'm grateful when I catch a Rockfish in the teens or low 20s.

We have both Hybrids and Rockfish but the Hybrids greatly outnumber the Rockfish. The typical Hybrid is in the 4 to 6 pound range with an occasional 8 to 10 pounder.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    Cumberland had big striper in the 80s, but not remotely close to the same average size nowadays. I use to couldn't wait to catch them at night in spring, but now if they bite alright & if not i'm bass fishing.

5. Member
    looks good Doggie

6. Member
    Nice!

7. Member
    SlyD, what's making that line on the left side of your SI?
    Just wondering if you know. The shots look great.

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    SlyD, what's making that line on the left side of your SI?
    Just wondering if you know. The shots look great.
    That is the motor & center Toon cavitation line. I have a Tritoon that I use for Striper Trolling and the transducer is mounted on the Starboard Toon. My Mega 360 is also mounted on the side rail on the Starboard side just behind the helm.