Towing with a 2wd 4 Runner.

My wife is looking at a 2021 4 runner Premium with 2wd.
    My main towing vehicle is my 2014 F150 eco. I was just wondering if anyone has experience using a 2wd 4 runner?
    I would only use it when I absolutely have too. My main concern is pulling the boat out the water on a wet ramp with only 2wd.

Boat is a 19 foot BCB Pantera II.
    Any feed back would be appreciated.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I've been pulling boats up ramps for nearly 40 years and I've never owned a 4 wheel drive.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I've been pulling boats up ramps for nearly 40 years and I've never owned a 4 wheel drive.
    Yep. I only had a hard time once and that was with a heavy watersoake pontoon on a steep ramp.

Father and grandfather always had a boat and never needed 4 wheel drive. I do not know much about the specific vehicle the OP asked about but 2 wheel drive in general will get it done. I guess if you use improvised ramps or use an icy ramp you might run into problems. I would not fret it especially if you have a half ton. I doubt you will even use the vehicle you asked about or could at least choose your half ton instead if going to an icy ramp or one made from dirt.

4. Member
    I tow a 20' with a tacoma (similar hp/torque) and it tows fine but it will never come up a ramp smoothly in 2wd. Wouldn't trust it at all in 2wd on a sandy or steep ramp.

I towed a PII with both a Tacoma and 4Runner with the 4.0L motor. Never needed 4wd on any ramp. It will work just fine.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Have had 2 different 4-Runners (2007 and 2017) both have pulled my 20.5' Bass Boats with no issues ever. Both have been 2wd, 2007 sold w 200,xxx miles and other than basic maintenance the alternator went out at 200k. 2017 has over 100k already and no issues at all other than a door lock motor that died.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by outsidesmoke View Post
    I tow a 20' with a tacoma (similar hp/torque) and it tows fine but it will never come up a ramp smoothly in 2wd. Wouldn't trust it at all in 2wd on a sandy or steep ramp.
    This ^. I think you need to consider all the ramps you normally use, in their various conditions, and then use that perspective to decide. I’ve had only 4-wd tow vehicles since I’ve been pulling boats larger than 18 feet, and I never put it in 4-wd unless I need to. So in essence that’s 2-wd. But there are times when I might not have gotten out of the water without help, had I been limited to only 2-wd. One place has a metal ramp that is very slick when wet. A couple other ramps I use are smooth concrete. Another one gets very sandy, which is awful. And several get covered with wet weeds when the wind is blowing in to the ramp. It’s a sick feeling when the wheels just spin and your whole rig is starting to slide. We’ve even launched a few times when the ramp was starting to ice over.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have only used 4 wheel drive at a very few ramps and those are mostly sand and gravel not paved, I use to tow with a Chevy El Camino and it was a dream to tow my boat with no problems at all . Now I use a Tahoe and maybe twice a year need 4 wheel drive and that is on unpaved ramps....
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

9. Member
    Thanks for all the comments and input!
    Appreciate it.
    Will be headed to the dealer today.
    Of course she wants a leveling kit and wheels on it.
    Gotta love a country girl.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Member
    We have a 2010 4runner with 2wd, I have towed my Nitro with it on a few trips. Have not had a ramp issue yet, it does have limited slip, just take it slow when pulling out. The engine has plenty of low end torque. It doesn't tow great up hill, but I see you are in Louisiana so you'll be ok in that regard.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

I pull mine with 2006 and 2009 2WD Tacoma’s to include Long distance.. Haven’t had any issues.
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

12. Member
    My '07 prerunner Tacoma does fine - on the ramps I use. Good tires and proper inflation make a world of difference. I'd prefer the security of 4wd, but my truck was paid for well before I bought my boat. There's one ramp my FIL fishes that I wouldn't trust my truck at, so we take his truck for those trips.

13. Member
    My 2WD pulls the boat out of anything just fine, including dirt and sand ramps.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

14. Member
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    Wife loves her new 4 Runner.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member

She pull it well.. enjoy
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

17. Moderator
    Wife thinking about a new suv, I really wish she would get a 4 runner. She’s leaning towards the highlander big time. She’s going to pay for it so whatever makes her happy. I love the 4 runners sporty drive and low end torque. She likes the nice accents of the Highlander. I won’t persuade her either way.
    Congrats on the new ride. It’s sharp

18. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    The Highland tows well too.. FYI. It's a crossover so a softer more car like ride. We really liked both of our Highlanders.

19. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    The Highland tows well too.. FYI. It's a crossover so a softer more car like ride. We really liked both of our Highlanders.
    Thanks for that, guess I have reservations about pulling my 520 with a Highlander. I’ll look into it’s ratings little more .

Been towing a TR21 for with 2wd 4runner for 5+ years so far so good, used on super slick ramps that f150,s slide on and did not have a problem