Need advice on adding a bow mount Lowrance

Hi
    I currently have a 9" HDS Gen III with Structure scan on my console. Im looking to add another fish finder on bow. I may also add a Ghost or other motor in front with locking spot (anchoring?)ability etc. Question, do I need to add another HDS in front or can i put in a Carbon for better resolution. Is connectivity to Ghost or other really that important?

Also what is your recommendation in sharing the downscan in back? Or do I put in another transducer in front for better accuracy on trolling motor for me on the bow?

I may have some of may terminology incorrect here so pardon me. If need clarification let me know

Thanks
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

2. Member
    You don't list your entire system so I'm kind of guessing here. Do you have a unit on the bow already? How are you currently getting StructureScan at the console?

A Carbon is an HDS. HDS Carbon, and would be a great addition to your bow. They are on sale now at BPS, BTW. It would network by Ethernet with your Gen 3 by adding a single Ethernet cable from the Gen 3 to the Carbon. That would share StructureScan from the console to the bow but I have never found that very useful. Most people add a transducer to the front. An HDI would provide 2D and Downscan at the bow and is what most people end up with. Integration with a new trolling motor may or may not be important for you. I find it very useful but others may not. Most important to me though was the internal transducer in the Lowrance Ghost trolling motor. It already comes with an HDI transducer built in. So no cables running up the shaft and nothing hanging off the bottom. I like that.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    NoCal has pretty much coverd it but I use my 2n1 transducer mounted on my jackplate quite often on my bow mounted graph running structure scan when chasing schooling fish. I have a Ghost with HDI and Active Target on the bow so I have both ends of the boat covered. I also have everything linked together so I can control my system from both my bow and console graphs (HDS Carbon's) as desired. I like how simple it is to control my Ghost from my HDS Carbon's. If I am unhooking a fish at the back of the boat I can reach my console graph to anchor my Ghost if I want to.

4. Member
    NoCal
    Thanks for the help. I currently have the HD S9" Gen 3 at console and the Structurescan 3d transducer and i believe its a HDI skimmer in stern as well(Why would I have that?) Lastly have a Point 1 gps in back. I do have the NEMA box with a cable pulled to Bow for future fish finder. The Ghost may be a future investment so in meantime I think the HDI mounted on my current Trolling motor will be fine (MinnKota Powerdrive V2)

As far as the HDS Carbon 12 on BPS i see $1499 without a HDI skimmer. It looks like the HDI is about $120 and then $20 for the adapter. Does that seem right or am I looking at wrong sale?

IF I Get the Ghost I can just trash the HDI i have.

Let me know if this all makes sense. thanks in advance
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

5. Member
    Doesn't all make sense!
    Here is what you have:
    Gen 3 9T at Console with HDI transducer direct connected and mounted at the stern (this doesn't make sense to me so check; either look at the silver tag on the sonar connector OR go to Pages, Settings, Sonar, Installation, and see what transducer is selected. It should just be an HST-WBL. If it doesn't say that, select it. You don't need nor can you utilize 2 Structure sources as the same time and you already have Downscan from the Structure 3D).
    StructureScan 3D (includes transducer on the stern and a module with Ethernet cables running to console Gen 3 and to bow for a future unit). This is nothing to do with NMEA.
    Point 1 GPS receiver on the stern. This requires a NMEA network with cables, T-Connectors, and a dedicated power supply. There very well might be a NMEA cable running to the bow to be able to utilize the Point 1 heading sensor with a future unit.

That is your current system.

If you purchase the Carbon from BPS, you would also need a 7 pin HDI. NOT a 9 pin HDI. If you get the 7 pin HDI, no adaptor is needed. It will connect directly to the Carbon in the Sonar port. You would need a trolling motor mount which does cost about $20.

Yes, if you get the Ghost, an external HDI is not needed.

NoCAL
    2B112175

6. Member
    NoCal
    thanks. Well did as you said. under Installation it said "Unknown"was selected. I didn't see a HST-WBL but did see a HST-WSBL/HST-WSU so selected that. Im wondering if the other transducer on stern is just disconnected when Structure scan installed. I do see that that on structure scan module that net 1 and net 2 have cables coming into it. Maybe one is for the bow as you stated(Will verify). So I assume when get Carbon I can use the HDI on trolling motor OR the structure scan in back? I just select with one on the Carbon if want to flip back and forth?

There is a NEMA for the Point ! that looks like its connected to back of HDS Gen3...(Have to verify all this. Will take unit out to look at)

Pulling trigger on carbon and Ill look at connectors and make sure 7 pin

Really appreciate all your help!
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

7. Member
    Sounds great. Good luck and don’t hesitate to ask questions when needed
    2B112175