HD hub kit stuck.

Tried to test a different prop and the Merc HD hub kit in mu Fury will not come out. Tried to tap it out with a large socket and it doesn’t even move.
    Is it partially spun if it’s stuck?

2. Member
    Never mind. Found out these new kits press in and are not removable.

Mine comes out. First time it took a bigger hammer, After a few prop changes -- a good tap and it falls out.

4. Member
    I was told these changed in Jan of this year and don’t come out easy. Is that right?
    I worked it pretty hard and it never budged.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    I was told these changed in Jan of this year and don’t come out easy. Is that right?
    I worked it pretty hard and it never budged.
    Yes, do not listen to fishnfireman. I honestly do not think he has encountered these. Even Don has said he considers them part of the prop now. Mine would not move at all using any type of hammering. I brought it to a boat shop and the owner went straight to the press-did not even try another method. Installation is also way tougher than before.

Send it over..

I can promise the go fast prop swappers aren't buying a new one for every prop.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Send it over..

I can promise the go fast prop swappers aren't buying a new one for every prop.
    You should make a how-to video. I have decided to use a bottle jack on mine.

If I find one that I can't remove with this and a big hammer--- I will.
    prop gear.jpg

9. Member
    Mercury sells new SSR hubs in three different types to replace an old hub if needed so they come out but it takes some pressure. I think some lube on the hub kit at install may help getting it back out.

10. mikesxpress
    I have continued to use my hub kits on the V8 that I was using on the 250 Opti prior to repowering over 3 years ago. The SSR is the replacement for the hub kit I'm using and is supposed to reduce vibration and shift clunk. I don't experience either so I will continue to use my "removable kits. Glad I have 4 of them with 2 still in the box.

11. Member
    The kits from my old Opti were too small in diameter.

12. Member
    It is removable! Use socket and 4” extension with a 3 lb sledge. Place prop face down on a scrap piece of 2x4. Center socket on tab and hold with a pair of vice grips and tap on it until it turns loose. It will budge but may take a few good licks. Once it moves lift up on prop and tap socket a few more times until center falls completely out.

13. Member
    Take it to your boat dealer and have them press it out. Takes only a couple minutes.

14. Member
    some nuts, washers threaded rod and some large exhaust tubing and they will come out.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

15. Member
    I had a RBX hub for a Solas Scorpion that was all rubber. After sitting for months, the threaded rod trick with large washers and a nut worked to get it out when the hammer didn't. The threaded rod is similar to using a press.

16. Member
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not taking hammers, sledges, sockets, etc to a $175 hub on a $600 prop.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not taking hammers, sledges, sockets, etc to a $175 hub on a $600 prop.
    Have to know your limitations.
    I do it with $1800.00 props. As a side note--once you've removed one a couple of times and ran the snot out of it they loosen up to where all it takes is a tap.
    I'm just jealous of those who fish the same lakes, conditions, boat loads and elevation all the time and get by using the same prop everyday.

18. Member
    I'm just recommending getting the hubs removed using a press. Your Ranger or Merc dealer will do it for free and it takes about a minute.

19. Member
    I used a floor jack . placed the prop on it and raised it against the boat trailer ( connected to he truck ) You'll need a socket to place on the the side of the propeller the prop nut goes on.