Question Info on pontoons

Okay Brothers and Sisters I need some help. I have owned 7 bass boats and countless jon boats. With that being said, I know absolutley nothing about pontoons. I am going to be in the market for something to fix up or something nice. Please give me some pro's and cons's. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

I guess I should say, I think I would prefer a 28 footer with a trailer but I have a lot of friends telling me to go with a 24 footer.

The main lake it will be on is only 2000 acres but may go to Kentucky Lake twice a year.

I own 2 pontoons as I write this. I would highly recommend no less than a 25 inch diameter pontoon. I own a 25" and a 23". The ride is so much better in a bigger pontoon. I would advise a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke ( I own both ) Both mine are 22 ft. but I've owned 24 footers before. My last one I bought someone got tired of it and I got what I think was a good deal, so there are still some deals to be found. The winter time is usually the best time to be looking for one. When looking be sure to check out the pontoons because they would be the most difficult part to replace. The fencing and paneling are readily available if they are damaged. Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by larryhyco; 08-02-2021 at 01:46 PM.

A big part of your decision surrounds around what are you going to do with it?
    Our pontoon is used primarily as a boat to pull grandkids on tubes and Knee Boards. Its big enough for 12 people and is plenty big enough for our family. Every now and then my wife and I take it out to just relax and cruise.
    22' Tritoon, 140 Suziki 4 stroke. Under pinned and has lifting stakes.
    What are your plans for usage?
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

4. Member
    Just obtained a slip on a local lake and bought a 20 foot tritoon type with a 150. Sold my AlumiCraft multi species boat with a 150. Have used the pontoon much more than the AlumiCraft which sat on the trailer. Wife loves the pontoon and I have only driven it once. Kids feel comfortable taking it out without me. Tubing and skiing will be fun also.
    Need to get a trolling motor that can be removed when not fishing. Any recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I own 2 pontoons as I write this. I would highly recommend no less than a 25 inch diameter pontoon. I own a 25" and a 23". The ride is so much better in a bigger pontoon. I would advise a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke ( I own both ) Both mine are 22 ft. but I've owned 24 footers before. My last one I bought someone got tired of it and I got what I think was a good deal, so there are still some deals to be found. The winter time is usually the best time to be looking for one. When looking be sure to check out the pontoons because they would be the most difficult part to replace. The fencing and paneling are readily available if they are damaged. Good luck in your search.
    Thanks for the input. I never even thought about the diameter. I would really love a tri-toon but not sure I want to spend the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    A big part of your decision surrounds around what are you going to do with it?
    Our pontoon is used primarily as a boat to pull grandkids on tubes and Knee Boards. Its big enough for 12 people and is plenty big enough for our family. Every now and then my wife and I take it out to just relax and cruise.
    22' Tritoon, 140 Suziki 4 stroke. Under pinned and has lifting stakes.
    What are your plans for usage?
    It will be used mainly tied of to other boats just to enjoy the lake. I would like to be able to put a big grill, pull a tuber and ride nice.

Look forward to your input!

Big grill- probably not. Small grill maybe, but that will take up someof your limited space.
    Pull tube- minimum 90hp, 150 much better. Gonna need torque and speed so the Complete package comes into play. Underpinning to relieve drag, lifting stakes to help get you up on plane and HP to get up and go.
    Another thought on hp. If you ever need to get off the lake in a emergency (weather, medical or just gotta get wife off the boat) a 90hp is a slow go. 150hp again is much better.
    Nice ride- as larryhyco states 25" toons are smoother ride, Tritoon even more so.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    Big grill- probably not. Small grill maybe, but that will take up someof your limited space.
    Pull tube- minimum 90hp, 150 much better. Gonna need torque and speed so the Complete package comes into play. Underpinning to relieve drag, lifting stakes to help get you up on plane and HP to get up and go.
    Another thought on hp. If you ever need to get off the lake in a emergency (weather, medical or just gotta get wife off the boat) a 90hp is a slow go. 150hp again is much better.
    Nice ride- as larryhyco states 25" toons are smoother ride, Tritoon even more so.
    I hd already thought i would want a 150hp. clarification on a grill....some of the boats I've looked at are so small you ovly have room for 4 or maybe 6 burgers.

I greatly apricate your help. As soon as I buy one I will send you pics!

I've never been married so I'm okay on the wife issue!