Cranking Battery Getting Drained New Z521C Ranger

Sorry Title should read New Z520C Ranger

I’m having an issue with a new 2021 Z520C Ranger from Pro’s Choice (not their issue, just saying where it came from) where the cranking battery was getting killed in half a day of fishing. Went about it in three steps so far and still having issues.

1) Was leaving the 12 Live at the console running, while fishing up front with that Live unit left running, battery was dying and impacting 4S motor operation
    2) Started putting the console unit in standby mode when up front, battery was still dying (just a little later) and impacting 4S motor operation
    3) Replaced the Interstate Dual P 31AGM with an X2 Dual P 31AGM - the “gold” standard for ProXS cranking batteries, battery was still getting run WAY down when tester was used after getting off of the water
    4) Added a supplemental charger with built in tester to ensure cranking battery was being fully charged as I had a tournament this weekend and had read that the built in Dual Pro Li capable capable chargers would often only charge an AGM cranking battery to ~75% (which it was in fact doing) - by adding this the battery was getting a 100% charge - Tournament day followed all of my standby routines and added putting the unit up front in standby when not needing it as I was worried about the 100+ mile run (round trip) and getting back. All went according to plan however 1/2 mile from check-in the engine went into safe mode which it will do on Low Voltage. Luckily it happened when I was this close to check-in so no tournament issues. Got the boat back home and put it on the tester, sure enough drained almost completely.

So now I need to figure out what is going on and if it is the C Monster issue referenced in another thread. Anyway I can check this on my own, or if there are any other things to look at?

2. Member
    You may want to have your engine charging system checked...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin2 View Post
    You may want to have your engine charging system checked...SB...
    Brand new, and smart gauge indicates no engine issues

4. Member
    If you made a fifty mile run back to the ramp and killed the battery,then your charging system has something wrong with it. If the charging system was working properly,the battery would have been fully charged after that run.

5. Member
    Mine did this and it was a 100amp fuse on the motor. Dealer said that it probably happened
    when they rigged the boat. It was not charging anything and never gave any indication that
    anything was wrong.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangered View Post
    Mine did this and it was a 100amp fuse on the motor. Dealer said that it probably happened
    when they rigged the boat. It was not charging anything and never gave any indication that
    anything was wrong.
    Did you check / change the fuse as in where it is located? Haven’t even pulled the cowling on the motor yet.

Check the Battery voltage with the Motor running. I should read 13-14 volts. Any lower and it's the ALTERNATOR.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    I had a short in my bow accessory touch pad that was draining my battery during a day of fishing. Are your switches all working properly?
    2018 Z520L 50th Anniversary - 250 Pro XS 2-Stroke SN - 2B527745 / Reman Powerhead Built 8/2021 SN - QSCS00380OS0

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwizard View Post
    I had a short in my bow accessory touch pad that was draining my battery during a day of fishing. Are your switches all working properly?
    Will keep everyone updated - all switches are fine - spoke to my mechanic and he has three Mercs being treated for the same issue - speculation is alternator made in .... yep you guessed it land of the CCP ... going in the shop for diagnosis tomorrow

Definitely something going on with charging system. The x2 is a beast of a battery.

11. Member
    Well here is an interesting turn of events - My mechanic (an authorized Mercury dealer and mechanic) discovered that none of these three alternators (including mine) were grounded AT ALL - the grounding strap was missing from the factory. Mine also had a shredded belt. This was initial inspection dropping off this am - will post more after service.

12. mikesxpress
    Ronald you will want to post this over on the Mecury 4 stroke board with your engine serial # and Don may have something to contribute.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Ronald you will want to post this over on the Mecury 4 stroke board with your engine serial # and Don may have something to contribute.
    Thought about that Mike and agree, would be interesting to get Don’s take

14. Member
    Alternator died on mine, causing same issue. Only put out 11v. New alternator and put power poles on master cutoff switch (c monster rf killing battery), all good now

15. Member
    Forgot to post the latest: Grounding strap installed, belt replaced under warranty, now after a full day of use the X2 takes <20 minutes to get back to full charge. Count me a happy camper. As a side note he said that Mercury Maintenance manuals were the best, but when he looked it up, there were no instructions for the Ground Strap install, however the part appeared in the Parts Diagram Drawings. Really odd and might be contributing to a factory assembly issue (new personnel training, or...)

16. Member
    Interestingly, think you and I bought Rangers from Pro Choice the same week this summer. Anyway, my 2021 520L is also experiencing battery/charging issues. Mine started after 3-4 months and left me stranded on the lake. Jump start function did nothing. Cabela’s replaced the battery and said everything checked out fine. Took it out today and unfortunately, looks like the same thing has happened again.

If you don’t mind, can you explain where the ground strap is located? I’d like to take a look at mine and see if its missing too. Thx
    2021 Ranger 520l, Merc 250

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepdude665 View Post
    Interestingly, think you and I bought Rangers from Pro Choice the same week this summer. Anyway, my 2021 520L is also experiencing battery/charging issues. Mine started after 3-4 months and left me stranded on the lake. Jump start function did nothing. Cabela’s replaced the battery and said everything checked out fine. Took it out today and unfortunately, looks like the same thing has happened again.

If you don’t mind, can you explain where the ground strap is located? I’d like to take a look at mine and see if its missing too. Thx
    If you look at the thread I started in the 4S Mercury forum a lot of good stuff there on that thread

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1144008
    Last edited by carolina_cowboy01; 12-26-2021 at 07:29 PM.

18. Member
    I had the C monster issue, fixed that. Found some lousy factory wiring under dash that left exposed wire ends shorting against each other, and had similar issue on fuel sending unit with exposed wiring that shorted from time to time. Also on 3rd alternator under warranty, keep failing. Even though putting out required voltage, amperage flow was far under spec, causing battery drain. Thought we had it all fixed, but took it out last week for about 6 hours, and had a 45 minute high speed run to ramp and battery was down about 50% power level. Brand new battery, Interstate series 31 AGM, bunch of wiring fixes, and new 100amp fuse link from alternator. Getting really frustrated, I did not even run livewells, only electronics (16 and 12 Carbon Lowrance and Active Target). Started up ok, but upon checking voltage before charging it was down again. It spent 2 weeks in shop for 300 hour service and electrical checks and repairs, thought we had it, found and fixed a bunch of stuff and gas gauge works now as does Merc monitor fuel monitor, and shows up on dash Carbon.
    Not sure where to go next with the battery life issues.
    Mike Stephens
    Ranger Z521L (2018) Icon Edition
    Mercury Pro XS 250 with fat shaft, S/N2B528327
    Lowrance Carbon 16 and 12, Lowrance Active Target
    36V Minn Kota Ultrex
    Worked Tempest Plus 21 and 23 props

19. Member
    Mine is back at the dealer and gave them the information Carolina_cowboy provided and said they would check the ground issues, alternator and wiring. Once I hear back, I’ll update the thread if they fix it. Very disappointing having a new boat and can’t fish. Crappie are biting ��
    2021 Ranger 520l, Merc 250