Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tandem suspension rebuild ?

I have new components on the way. Mine are worn and it's time to do the maintenance. I'm not doing the wet bolt route as my trailer guy advises against it for a boat trailer. Not trying to debate that issue as I have already got parts coming. My question is how to proceed . This is a tandem axle for a 21' bass boat.

1) Should I raise and support one side, remove the wheels and then replace parts ? When done , do the same on the other side ?

2) Should I raise and support the entire trailer ( both sides ) , remove the wheels and then replace the worn components ?

I have what I need to do this job in terms of jacks and supports but I'm not sure what is the sensible way to proceed.

Thanks
    GETFISHED !!!

I did one side at a time
    Jacked it up and put stands under each axle. removed wheels- then placed floor jack under frame and raised until suspension was at a neutral spot.
    Some good pry bars--1/2" impact and helper are NICE to have.
    I had to use the ole C-clamp with socket and big hammer to remove old bolts.

I cribbed the whole trailer, think of the load on one end of a lever at a couple thousand pounds and you on the other side trying to line it up. I'd rather just have the weight of the axel.

I did wet bolts 200 launches ago, 2 years ago no negative affects yet. Just saying not going to argue either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I cribbed the whole trailer, think of the load on one end of a lever at a couple thousand pounds and you on the other side trying to line it up. I'd rather just have the weight of the axel..
    If you support the axle with stands then support the trailer with jack you don't even have to fight the weight of the axle. Simply raise trailer as noted until its at a neutral position then you can raise or lower accordingly--- easy peasey

5. Member
    Guys I appreciate the feedback. I am still uncertain about some of it. I can raise and support the entire trailer. Then remove all 4 wheels. At that point I only have one place where I can raise the axle without bending it and that is where the leafs are U bolted to the axle. I guess with the trailer up and the wheels off I could probably move the jack just inside of the leafs. Maybe that wouldn't be so much weight as to bend it. I'm probably overcomplicating it.
    GETFISHED !!!

It's not the only way but it worked for me. At age 65 with a bad shoulder I'm all about doing things the easy way. If I'd had to do much straining to line this up it wouldn't have gotten done.
    (1) Leave trailer hooked to truck and chock off side trailer wheels.. (2) Jack up one side of rear axle enough to clear the tire and place jack stand next to U-bolts. Do the same for front axle. (3) Remove wheels so you could see the equalizer and bolts. (4) Place floor jack under frame (behind rear wheel)
    (5) Jack the frame up until it reaches a point where the weight's evened out. You may have to raise or lower the frame jack a little but the bolts should be free enough to remove easily. Don't know if it matters but I started in the middle with the equalizer then did the ends. The shackles will give you some leeway when reassembling but you may also need to raise or lower the frame jack. That's one place a helper would have been nice.

Theres some videos--search Dexter wet bolt assembly..
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 08-02-2021 at 12:19 PM.

7. Member
    That sounds like an intelligent approach. Thanks. I'll be 66 in October and I have a few creaks and groans myself which is why I'm trying to chart the path of least resistance. LOL
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Well I am installing the Dexter ez-ride and wet bolts on mine this week. Going to remove all tires and suspend on jack stands. I have a air hammer, will be using that to knock out bolts, center pivot should be easier due to the fact it moves.....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

I'd only take out one bolt at a time. At least the ends the center is where it gets a bit wild since they can move up down left and right.

10. Member
    Did mine last winter.do one side at a time .Get the frame up on jack stands and use floor jack to move springs up or down as needed to replace parts.Impact driver to remove and replace bushing bolts and nuts.

If you have the weight equalized you can pull all bolts from equalizer .. but be sure to reassemble before pulling the end bolts one end at a time..

12. Member
    So did you guys replace the bolts also ? I got everything I needed today but there were no new bolts. Seems like new bolts also ? What say ye ? I can source them locally if needed.
    GETFISHED !!!

I'd get bolts, mine were worn and fresh clean components are probably worth the price over the old ones alone
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I have new components on the way. Mine are worn and it's time to do the maintenance. I'm not doing the wet bolt route as my trailer guy advises against it for a boat trailer. Not trying to debate that issue as I have already got parts coming. My question is how to proceed . This is a tandem axle for a 21' bass boat.
    Not to start a debate-- Would like to hear his reasoning for that advise ? I might learn something.
    So did you guys replace the bolts also ? I got everything I needed today but there were no new bolts. Seems like new bolts also ? What say ye ? I can source them locally if needed.
    I would !!

15. Member
    I'll see about getting new bolts. Just wanted to make sure that I have everything before I started.

I was talking to Jerry at Waymire's. He says the traditional setup will work fine for many years. He also says grease and water don't necessarily go well together. Wet bolts on other trailers but not on boat trailers.. so I am just going to run the traditional setup
    GETFISHED !!!

16. Member
    What is a wet bolt? A greaseable one I am assuming? CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    What is a wet bolt? A greaseable one I am assuming? CJ
    yes sir--here's the one I got with mechanical equalizer ----I pull a lot of miles, my two year old trailer had already worn thru the bottom of nylon bushings.

Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit - Double-Eye Springs - Tandem Axle - 6,000 lbs Dexter Axle Trailer Leaf Spring Suspension K71-652-00

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    The kit I bought came with new bolts.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

19. Member
    The link in Fishnfiremans post is the system I have had on a heavier tandem trailer for 10 years.

The deep vee walleye boat /trailer combo that is scaled at 5000lb.

About 45,000-50,000 miles on the wet bolt system to date.

The last pic in the link shows all the included parts, including the wet bolts.

I did not originally recommend the above system as the OP stated he was advised against a wet bolt system by his trailer guy and wanted no other opinions.

Jerry and Skip at Waymires have helped many times over the years, but they are in the business to sell parts.

I would do one side at a time with two jacks stands supporting the trailer frame, one in front and behind the wheels and one pump jack to lift/lower axle to help line up the parts.

If you suspend both sides of trailer, with both axles hanging free, the equalizer can make one set of axle shackles want to flip the wrong way and you will end up fighting one axle against the other.

Leave one side of trailer down with both axles supported by the wheels.

My 2 cents

Good luck

20. Member
    I had local spring shop { big truck type} rebuilt my dual axle Ranger , put springs , equalizer, and all new case harden bolts on both sides while I drank coffee, read newspaper and watch {two hrs.} for 75 dollars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast