Thread: 175 4 Stroke

BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

175 4 Stroke

Getting ready to order myself a new boat after almost 20 years with my current one.

Are there any “known issues” or things I should be keeping a lookout for with a 175 4 stroke? That seems to be the smallest engine in Mercurys lineup that’s a V6.

Any special tips or tricks to keep it worry free?

2. Member
    It would be my choice in the 175 h.p. engines.

Essentially it is like the V8 models with two less cylinders.

Having said this, if the boat is rated for 200 h.p. Or more go with the V8 for more torque.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    It would be my choice in the 175 h.p. engines.

Essentially it is like the V8 models with two less cylinders.

Having said this, if the boat is rated for 200 h.p. Or more go with the V8 for more torque.
    The boat is only rated for 175

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Been pretty good engines... keep up with maintenance, and make sure it's set up correctly (most common error is hotfoot and throttle cable setup, followed by choosing the correct (975 or higher CCA, AGM Only) battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Any more input on this motor or the Pro XS 4 stroke in general? I am looking at a 2020 boat that has a 175 Pro XS on it.

6. Member
    I purchased a new 2020 Triton TRX 189 with the Mercury Pro XS 175 4 stroke and absolutely love it, couldn't be happier and since my racing days are behind me I will leave the speed demons with the V8's. I am very happy cruising at speeds of no more than 60-65 and most days not nearly that fast. I think you would be happy with this combination.

7. Member
    I got my Nitro with a 175 in March. I have been more than pleased with it's performance. Hole shot is really good even after adding a couple of Power Poles. I have a 6 inch manual jack plate and I think it still needs to be raised just a bit more but I'm getting about 61 mph in this hot weather. I'm happy with that so may not mess with it. My max rpms are about 5800 which makes me think it could be raised just a little more. I do have a hot foot throttle so may not be getting max power which is something I will have checked before I mess with the jack plate height adjustment. I did specify a group 31 AGM starting battery and have 2 group 31 lead acid for the trolling motor so quite a bit of weight back there.

I did learn something recently which is kind of embarrassing because I didn't read the manual or else I would have known. I was at my last fishing spot stop for the evening on a recent outing and got everything ready to head back to the ramp. It would not start. It would just turn over a few times and then would not turn at all on subsequent tries so I trolling motored back to the ramp as I assumed it was a dead battery. I tried jumping from a tm battery but that didn't work. As I was backing the trailer in it just hit me to check the kill switch and sure enough I had bumped it just enough to jar it loose. My old 2 strokes would just keep trying to start but not this one. Also, when starting just turn the key to on for a few seconds and then bump it to the start position. The engine will do the rest and get it going. It's pretty darn smart for a boat motor. Smarter than me obviously but my defense is it is my first ever 4 stroke after umpteen 2 strokes.
    Last edited by jtrac; 08-12-2021 at 08:41 AM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

Loving my 175 4-stroke! It's super quiet and sips fuel.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I got my Nitro with a 175 in March. I have been more than pleased with it's performance. Hole shot is really good even after adding a couple of Power Poles. I have a 6 inch manual jack plate and I think it still needs to be raised just a bit more but I'm getting about 61 mph in this hot weather. I'm happy with that so may not mess with it. My max rpms are about 5800 which makes me think it could be raised just a little more. I do have a hot foot throttle so may not be getting max power which is something I will have checked before I mess with the jack plate height adjustment. I did specify a group 31 AGM starting battery and have 2 group 31 lead acid for the trolling motor so quite a bit of weight back there.

I did learn something recently which is kind of embarrassing because I didn't read the manual or else I would have known. I was at my last fishing spot stop for the evening on a recent outing and got everything ready to head back to the ramp. It would not start. It would just turn over a few times and then would not turn at all on subsequent tries so I trolling motored back to the ramp as I assumed it was a dead battery. I tried jumping from a tm battery but that didn't work. As I was backing the trailer in it just hit me to check the kill switch and sure enough I had bumped it just enough to jar it loose. My old 2 strokes would just keep trying to start but not this one. Also, when starting just turn the key to on for a few seconds and then bump it to the start position. The engine will do the rest and get it going. It's pretty darn smart for a boat motor. Smarter than me obviously but my defense is it is my first ever 4 stroke after umpteen 2 strokes.
    What prop/pitch do you run?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IABryan View Post
    What prop/pitch do you run?
    Tempest Plus 22P
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119