2012 Tundra Backup Camera not Working

I have a 2012 Tundra, bought new. The backup camera went out, or at least that is what I thought. I replaced the camera with an after market, no love. I replaced the rear view mirror, no love.
    I took it to the dealer and they could not figure out the issue.

I scoured the Tundra forums and while many had issues there was not much for a fix that I hadn't already done.

It really sucks not having this to back up to the boat.

Any advice and input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    C4F

Find a good stereo shop in your area and have the stereo replaced with one with camera capabilities connected to the aftermarket camera you had installed. The mirror one sucks anyhow as does the stock radio. I know, I had a 2013.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

May sound stupid but do the backup lights work?

Have you checked for fuses? Maybe backup light fuse? I'm not sure what actually turns the camera on, but it could be the backup lights.

5. Member
    https://ricardolevinsmorales.com/wp-...-tundra-5r.jpg

have you checked that it is plugged in to the rear of the headunit (stereo)
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

6. Member
    Thanks for all of the suggestions -
    1. yep the back up lights are working...one of the first things that I checked as I was hoping that may be the issue, I just forgot to mention it.
    2. I did check the fuses....I failed to mention that I do get the "blue screen" when I first put it in reverse then after a couple of seconds it goes out like it does not register a signal
    3. I guess I never thought about checking to see if it is plugged into the stereo since the screen is on the mirror I will see if I can get back there and see.
    4. I had thought about a replacement stereo with the screen....I was thinking it would be way more expensive. Maybe not.

I really appreciate all of the input.

C4F

7. Member
    I did remove the radio....not as hard as I thought and I could see where the camera plugged in....really couldn't get it to do anything when I fiddled with it. All though it did have a weird dark picture after it went blue.

Thanks
    C4F

Did you check the connection from the tail gate to the truck ? Take apart the connection to make sure it’s not green ? Wires not pinched in that area where they come out ?

Also If you bought the after market camera off eBay good chance it’s the camera not matching up with the software in the head unit

9. Member
    I’ll throw this out there, my wife has an 08 Sequoia limited. It has the automatic back door/hatch where you push a button to open and close it. A while back it quit working and it was too expensive to fix so we didn’t mess with it. A while later (maybe a year or so) the battery goes dead. We put a new battery in and now the back door works again. Maybe your battery is getting close to needing replaced?

10. Member
    Thanks Jerry T - I didn't buy the camera off eBay but it was an aftermarket and not a Toyota buy. Since I posted this I have noticed that the software matching is a thing. It never occured to me that this could be the issue. I may have to stop being a cheap ass and order an OEM replacement. Man those things are EXPENSIVE!

WPS456 - That was one of the first things that I checked out as that was a potential fix off of one of the Toyota blog sites....sadly no love there either.

I am now on a mission from God (Blue Brothers quote) to figure this out!

C4F