Puma STS vs. Eyra

So...STS Puma is a nice boat. How is the rough water ride compared to a Eyra. Under 2 foot I'll put the Eyra up against anything. Over...hmmmmmm...not so much. Can BCB comment or anyone else?

We all love an Eyra inside the factory, Short, Brewer and Rick run one and prefer the layout. The new STS hull(s) are truly amazing rides and compromise a few MPH from the testing done. Some may not loose any and others may loose more as no 2 rigs are the same.

Yes, we expect the Puma STS to ride better in 2’ waves and the Lynx will outperform it in those larger waves, as the hull is longer and deeper. The Lynx will not give you the ride of an STS in 2’ waves no matter which STS hull.

The Puma STS a runs and rides so good that Kevin Short is considering moving from his beloved Eyra.

I watched Kevin give demo rides all day with a grin that couldn't be wiped off. My experience in it was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We all love an Eyra inside the factory, Short, Brewer and Rick run one and prefer the layout. The new STS hull(s) are truly amazing rides and compromise a few MPH from the testing done. Some may not loose any and others may loose more as no 2 rigs are the same.

Yes, we expect the Puma STS to ride better in 2’ waves and the Lynx will outperform it in those larger waves, as the hull is longer and deeper. The Lynx will not give you the ride of an STS in 2’ waves no matter which STS hull.

The Puma STS a runs and rides so good that Kevin Short is considering moving from his beloved Eyra.
    So your saying the puma/ any sts hull is better in waves less than 2' and the linx is better in waves over 2'? Hard for me to imagine how this is possible can you elaborate how the Linx is not better in 1.5' seas?

And just so we are all on the same page when you say 2' wave are we talking from the trough to the crest 2' in vertical measure or from a resting waterline to the crest 2', pretty big difference in the two.

Yes, trough to wake is the method used, that is actually a 1’ wave by standards. The Lynx may or may not be because of the hull running surface length and the type of wave effects that ride. Larger than 2’ waves (1’) the longer running surface comes into play more, and the Lynx is around 5” deeper in bow rise than a Puma STS hull.

The Lynx would be preferred up to actual 4’ to 5’ waves (2’ to 2.5’) and larger as tacking comes into play, then its maneuvering through and an Eyra would shine some there. The new Puma STS hull also would likely be a good choice in larger seas.

The Jaguar STS with big motors just eats water and it’s silly good.

Had my Jag STS in real three to fours the other day. It rode well with he exception of a couple times I came off the crest and landed into deep trough. Jag dos not care about 1-2 footers.

7. Member
    Yep, you are telling the truth. Stuff that used to rattle me a little in an pre-STS Puma, is just another day of fishing in my Jaguar.
    Just an incredible hull for running bigger water. Fishes shallow very well, also.

My 21 eyra did everything I needed it to when I was up in St Lawrence earlier this year. However I did get out there when it was blowing 18 mph in chaumont bay, and I had to turn around. Stuffed two waves and didn't want to continue after that. I will also add that down in the islands I used spot lock and had to fish off the middle of the boat, the Eyra is so narrow at the bow I felt like it took alot more splashes over the nose while fishing than my 17 puma did. I would be lookin at the puma sts over the eyra if one were to be fishing the rough stuff often.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Which again is where the bow rise of the Lynx and Jaguar will shine.

10. Member
    It looks like a great hull, but if I ever upgraded from my 07, it would be an Eyra.

11. Member
    Approximately what kind of price tag is one looking at for a Puma STS with a 250 SHO? Fully understand options change the price significantly. Just want to get an idea of starting price.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wampolec View Post
    Approximately what kind of price tag is one looking at for a Puma STS with a 250 SHO? Fully understand options change the price significantly. Just want to get an idea of starting price.
    Probably mid 70s to start.

Not to hijack the post but to agree. My Lynx made me grin all day everyday on the St Lawrence. Especially in the bigger stuff with an east wind.
    2019 Basscat Lynx
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    SN: 2B586555

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wampolec View Post
    someone else said mid 80's from his dealer??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    I would think mid-80's would be pretty loaded out.

16. Member
    I was quoted 82,000 for a puma sts with a mercury. That's with a ghost trolling motor, no electronics, and no batteries. A SHO is approximately $2000 higher and you cant get one at this time.

Wow! I was recently quoted 94k for a 2022 Puma STS with a 250 Pro XS and 2x HDSLIVE 12 What is even more eyebrow raising was a different dealer quoted me 99.5k for a 2022 Eyra with 250 Pro XS and 2x HDSLIVE 10.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    I would think mid-80's would be pretty loaded out.
    i was quoted mid 80's plus tax and fees on a caracal last week
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools