Clunking at start-up again.

1B737378
    FEB 2009
    PRO XS L
    560 hours

I went out a few days ago. Last time I was out prior was about 2 weeks ago and she ran perfect. (With the exception of a coughing smokey first start).

This trip same thing on first start. But much more difficult and accompanied with a rod bearingish clunking. It smoothed out mostly but I could still hear the clunk that improved then got worse then improved etc... So I killed the engine and never got it over idle speed.

I took off brown air regulator, brown fuel regulator and the purple tracker valve today.

Air regulator had about a 1 millimeter crack on one side of the rubber. Very small.

Fuel regulator had about a 3/8" split on one side of the rubber. Substantial split.

The tracker valve was like new as it is only about a year old or so.

Incidentally, no faults on the computer.

So I am changing out air and fuel regulators. INcidentally, thank you Don! I posted this so when it is finally handled, I will update it for everyone to note.

What are the mercury part numbers for these as they are somewhat confusing on the mercury site. I need the air and fuel regulator diaphragms on the port side of the fuel rack.

Also need the item number for the 0-ring at the fuel regulator casing. Anything else I should be concerned with when installing?

Thank you,

Tom
    Last edited by tomloans; 07-31-2021 at 08:39 PM.

2. Member
    For parts, Don will reply with see Rhonda's post in sticky topics.

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In addition to those parts, you REALLY need the special tool that properly assembles the Air Pressure Regulator (or the fuel pressure regulator), AND a certified/accurate gauge or high-speed USB Pressure Transducer to validate the regulator setpoint (may require calibration adjustment).

As mentioned above, Rhonda can assist if you drop her an email.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In addition to those parts, you REALLY need the special tool that properly assembles the Air Pressure Regulator (or the fuel pressure regulator), AND a certified/accurate gauge or high-speed USB Pressure Transducer to validate the regulator setpoint (may require calibration adjustment).

As mentioned above, Rhonda can assist if you drop her an email.
    Don, if I pick up a new fuel rail, do I need a certified/accurate gauge or high-speed USB Pressure Transducer to validate the regulator setpoint (may require calibration adjustment)?

It is really tough when dealers around here are quoting 2 to 3 months. It would be cheaper to just buy a brand new fuel rail and rebuild mine slowly or not at all. Please let me know if i have to calibrate a brand new one as well. thank you.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A brand new, OEM rail should already have been calibrated before it was boxed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    A brand new, OEM rail should already have been calibrated before it was boxed.
    Likely the only way I am going to fish this year. Thanks for your help!

7. Member
    send it to ^^^^^ big D bet he can repair and calibrate it way faster and cheaper too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................