Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think you math is incorrect. Another thing to consider is if there anything bad happening inside. If you look when you remove the drain plug you can see it. I've been known to attach a magnet to drain plugs. Makes a good indicator on what is going on. Sometimes you can catch something and fix it well before thing get bad.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I got a longer bolt same size as the drain plug, took it to a local machine shop where they drilled out the inside of the bolt leaving it about 1/16 of an inch thick and cut the head off. Screwed a piece of soft plastic tube on one end. Tilt motor, take out drain plug, screw in drilled out bolt, tilt motor back down with plastic tubing in a gallon jug. Works great.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    I got a longer bolt same size as the drain plug, took it to a local machine shop where they drilled out the inside of the bolt leaving it about 1/16 of an inch thick and cut the head off. Screwed a piece of soft plastic tube on one end. Tilt motor, take out drain plug, screw in drilled out bolt, tilt motor back down with plastic tubing in a gallon jug. Works great.
    NICE!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    Trying to follow logic here....if I drill out another plug and attach tubing....understand that part. If I tilt engine all the way up and remove original plug will oil not come gushing out? I believe your saying it stays in the block and then insert new drilled out plug! What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    Trying to follow logic here....if I drill out another plug and attach tubing....understand that part. If I tilt engine all the way up and remove original plug will oil not come gushing out? I believe your saying it stays in the block and then insert new drilled out plug! What am I missing here?
    With the motor tilted all the way up, no oil will come out until you lower it.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

And I repeat "NICE"

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

8. Member
    Yes sir....thanks and gonna pursue.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    It probably works better than you think. But I use it for my lawn more and pressure washer. I have never tried to do a Yamaha outboard. I’m sure they make bigger ones
    Hey mike do you run a 250 sho on your bullet?

10. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    No pump needed. Just back down the ramp to the water, pull the plug, let it run in the water. Put plug back in, filler up. Leave a little low so it can make some.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    No pump needed. Just back down the ramp to the water, pull the plug, let it run in the water. Put plug back in, filler up. Leave a little low so it can make some.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Quote Originally Posted by Shane s View Post
    Hey mike do you run a 250 sho on your bullet?
    No.. I wish I had one. I have a 250 OX66 shown in my signature.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Was just kidding around.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    I use the Liquivac oil change pump. It works good, you just have to make sure you have a hose small enough to fit in the dipstick and get to the bottom of the sump. Cut the end of the tube on a slight angle. This is a link to a unit that holds 2 gallons. Like I said this works well for me. One other thing is you have to make sure the cap is very tight, if it leaks at all you won't pull up much oil before the vacuum is gone. With a tight cap and pump the thing per the instructions it pulls a lot of oil out. Visit: https://gemplers.com/products/liquiv...hanging-system

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    About to change the oil in my 250 SHO. Some videos say to use an oil change pump. Is just draining the oil from motor not sufficient?
    https://www.simyamaha.com/7-3l-mityv...ctor-mv-07400/

Thats what I have used since my 2nd engine service. Sure it’s a manual pump but it doesn’t take long at all and it has a nice spout on it when the container gets full to empty it out. I will tell you one thing though and I have noticed this regardless of whether I drain it through the drain plug or pump it out through the dipstick. You need to trim the motor up and down a few times once you think it’s empty to get all the oil out. You will think it’s empty and you will pull close to another 1/2 quart out if you do what I suggested. I stopped taking mine in to have it changed after the 2nd one because they never took the time to get all of the old oil out.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Not needed IMO but oh what a convenience.

See for yourself. Start a timer to see how long each procedure takes you.

With the extraction pump the oil can be removed in less time than it takes to remove a side panel.

No worry about losing the side panel fasteners or stripping the oil drain plug upon re-installation.

Having done it both ways I am somewhat biased.
    You must be slow as hell then.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

17. Member
    Things to think about
    Upon changing the oil in my new to me 2016 FX 20 I could tell the dealer had been using a pump, how? the panel fasteners were very tight as was the drain plug, as they had never been out before? when I unplugged the oil the very first oil out was very nasty, more so than the rest, my thoughts?

using a pump there is no way you are going to get all the oil out of the sump, the particulate in oil will always settle to the bottom of the sump which in my mind needs to be drained from the bottom via the oil drain plug, without doing so leaves the worst part of the used oil in the bottom of sump. make any sense?

when changing my oil in order to get it all out the engine needs to be tilted up with the steering facing hard right tilting up and down slowly to get the last bit out.

while using a pump might be faster and easier I will opt for draining from the plug, nasty goes out the bottom.

18. Member
    Breaking news.....it doesn't work that way on a SHO.....just "ask" my shop floor! lol....Lordy, pretty good mess.

19. Member
    No way I will pull the plug tilted up and expect no oil to come out but I'm glad you cleared that one up, was scratching my head when I read that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12