200 efi only runs good while trimming

i have a 1998 mercury 200 efi on triton boat. motor will only run at full rpm when i am holding trim either up or down. boat will hardly plane out but when you hit trim up it take off full rpm. have checked grounds and changed stator and voltage regulators. bypassed all modules with no luck. any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. Member
    Off hand sounds like could be a ground problem, maybe long shot but could be a problem with ECM that the trim activation is “fixing” by providing a ground path. If you can get a known good ecm to test on your motor I would do that. Also make sure you do not have an over voltage problem too.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    I have located a known good ecu so I will give it a try

4. Member
    what is batt voltage while underway / no more than 14.5
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    yes i checked voltage and it was 14.5 but i had spare stator and regulators and changed them anyway. did not help

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Two items to try:

1. Transom Mounted (test) keyswitch harness (eliminating the boat side of the wiring). Won't have trim but you'll know if it will run right without trim this way.

2. Monitor FUEL PRESSURE with a gauge, when it won't accelerate and when you operate trim and it WILL accelerate. ANY difference in readings (and what were they)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    what is batt voltage while underway / no more than 14.5
    Are you having any luck fixing this issue? My motor is doing the exact same thing and I have a post on this as well. Curious to know if you have resolved this gremlin.

8. Member
    +1, mine went pretty much away for awhile. Fishing Saturday it was back and very noticeable when I hit the trim. Watching.