Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a 5wt low cost quality fly rod.

As I mentioned in the "Who else fly fishes for panfish?" thread, I am looking to buy a 9' 5wt fly rod as there is too drastic a difference between my fast action 9' 8wt with WWF line and 7'6" slow action 3wt with double taper line. BTW, I will be replacing that line with a WFF line. I may eventually opt for a 10' 3wt. Have to see how things go.

If I decide to go the cheapest way...with a kit, I have 2 options I am currently looking at. The TFO NXT Black Label that fr8dog suggested and the Orvis Encounter. Haven't looked at others yet as I just started researching, but these 2 look like quality kits for the money from what I've read on them.

If I buy separate pieces, I am currently looking at the TFO Lefy Kreh Professional Series II, Moonshine 'The Drifter' and the Echo Carbon XL as my top choices. If the price hadn't gone up from $198 to $229, I would include the Orvis Clearwater as well. However, I don't want to spend over $200 on just the rod. I would add the Aetos, but am not looking for another Fast action rod. That is also why I'm not including the Redington VICE. Prefer a Medium or Medium Fast action at this time.

I really like the looks of The Drifter, but the other 2 (Carbon XL and Left Kreh) also get great reviews in this price range. It has been impossible for me to find articles comparing any of these rods.

So I am hoping some of you guys and gals can help me out with what your experiences have been with any of the above rods. And wouldn't it be great if you had experience with at least 2 of them!

It is kind of aggravating that TFO doesn't include a rod tube...only a rod sock.

Well, I’m back. Sorry. I have the Lefty Pro II in a 6. Super fantastical pole! Moderate action, easy to cast. By that I mean I don’t need to worry about timing. Just get in the groove and the rod does the work. Not sure if it comes in a 5.

Only Echo rods I have are spey poles. Excellent quality and good CS. Never heard a bad word about them.

Me on a fly fishing thread...

3. Member
    Pro II model number 05904P. Supposedly the Pro II fishes closer to a 6wt while the Lefty Signature 5wt fishes closer to a 4wt...from a review I read. https://www.fishexplorer.com/co/blog...n=det&bid=2672

EDIT: I may have jumped the gun, but I purchased the Echo Carbon XL 9' 5wt, Scientific Anglers 5wt Frequency Boost and 3wt Orvis Clearwater (line). Took a chance on the Piscifun Sword 5/6 reel.

EDIT2: Ordered some leaders and poppers/bugs and backing. Should be able to find tippet material locally. I'll be all set. As soon as back pain goes away enough so I can stand and walk for long enough to actually try out my new gear.
    Last edited by new2BC4bass; 08-01-2021 at 04:59 PM.

4. Moderator
    Well that was quick sweet rod. I have never used one. Like Fr8dog, I am by no means any kind of expert and would get laughed out of a “real” fly fishing conversation. I just use what I have and what works for me and go fishing.

Very nice! From reading on other websites the Sword is a pretty good bang for the $. Enjoy them and let us know how it goes. Have fun!

If you have any questions ask away. I’m sure there are fly guys lurking here that could add their expertise.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 08-01-2021 at 10:46 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Well that was quick sweet rod. I have never used one. Like Fr8dog, I am by no means any kind of expert and would get laughed out of a “real” fly fishing conversation. I just use what I have and what works for me and go fishing.
    Yeah. I did a lot of research before posting. Well....as much as I could find. I saw that traffic on this forum is minimal so figured I wasn't going to get much feedback on the rods. As stated earlier, finding direct rod comparisons (A vs B) was impossible for me to find.

My minimal fly rod experience was probably at least 25 years ago, and that was in a field by the Pro Shop where I purchased my first rod. Been watching a few Mad River Outfitter videos with Brian Flechsig. Learned a lot so far. I knew I should be using a line cleaner, but didn't understand how important it is. So I've added a Scientific Anglers cleaning kit and extra cleaning pads to my Amazon purchases. And 3 more leaders of different sizes (3X, 4X and 7X). Had already ordered 5X and 6X.

I also learned from the videos to stretch the line, keep thumb close to the end of the grip, etc. I've looked into how to figure out which size leader to use. All I've got to say is, "Praise the Internet." However, you do have to decide fact from fiction.

If I really get into it, I can see the possibility of another one or two more 5wts in my future.

Don’t forget the lanyard, vest, sling pack, 8 spools of tippet, floatant, patagucci waders, fedora, Costa’s, Yeti cooler, and of course the Abel nippers to walk the bank at local bream pond! Gotta look the part.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Don’t forget the lanyard, vest, sling pack, 8 spools of tippet, floatant, patagucci waders, fedora, Costa’s, Yeti cooler, and of course the Abel nippers to walk the bank at local bream pond! Gotta look the part.
    I do need the 8 spools of tippets....later, and the floatant before heading out. I think I am going to ignore the rest of your list.

Wish I had a local bream pond. :-(

EDIT: And I think I need to order the Lefty Kreh Professional Series II. Maybe then I could do a little comparison review of my own. Be the first.
    Last edited by new2BC4bass; 08-02-2021 at 03:50 PM.

9. Member
    Looks like you already got something but I absolutely love my Eagle Claw Featherweight fly rod paired with a vintage Pflueger reel. Excellent fun for minimal investment, plus it even looks nice.

Thanks a lot! I just ordered the yellow pole in a 3/4 6’6”. I have a Medalist that needs a home and you just made me buy one for it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbahus View Post
    Looks like you already got something but I absolutely love my Eagle Claw Featherweight fly rod paired with a vintage Pflueger reel. Excellent fun for minimal investment, plus it even looks nice.
    I had forgotten about it, but I had a fly rod as a teenager. I believe the rod was from Sears and the reel was a Pflueger. Can't recall the weight. Used Level Taper line on it. There may have been weight forward lines back then, but if so I was unaware of them. I do know Double Taper lines were available. I did manage to catch a few panfish with this combo.

12. Member
    Thanks a lot! I just ordered the yellow pole in a 3/4 6’6”. I have a Medalist that needs a home and you just made me buy one for it.
    Don't blame Kbahus. We all know it was the Bait Monkey! Besides....if you have a reel, but no rod, what good is it?

I used one of the EC rods a few years ago and it was great fun. Slow action maybe close to bamboo. I played with one of those grass rods when I was a kid but I’m not going there anymore. ($$$). If I had to put a pole on every reel I have in my drawer, I’d be in a world of hurt with the wife unit.

14. Member
    I used one of the EC rods a few years ago and it was great fun. Slow action maybe close to bamboo. I played with one of those grass rods when I was a kid but I’m not going there anymore. ($$$). If I had to put a pole on every reel I have in my drawer, I’d be in a world of hurt with the wife unit.
    Yeah. I hear you. I've got about 15 more baitcast reels than rods for them. :-(

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    And I feel I made an excellent choice. Read another article last night on a 6wt shootout by Yellowstone Angler. The Carbon XL was their number one pick in the budget rod category. https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...ight-shootout/ Be sure to open up and read the individual tester's notes if you read this article.

If I were rich...or felt I would be spending a LOT of time fly fishing, then I'd be looking at the Hardy Shadow as an upgrade to the Echo. It took first place in the mid-range category in the above article. Naturally I had to search out a few more reviews on it.

I can see that IF I continue with a fly rod AND get to be a good enough caster, I am going to need to invest in a rod with a faster tip such as the Aetos or TFO BVK in order to reach out further. Not that the other rods mentioned can't, but they don't do it with as much ease, power or accuracy....from what I read. Fly fishing can be done without spending a ton of money, but it is easy to see that a person could get caught up in it and go bankrupt if not careful.

16. Moderator
    I have and still use a Pflueger Purist (I believe) 5wt that I got as a kid. I’m 37 now and I think I got it for my 11th or 12th birthday. The reel was terrible so I bought a $29 White River reel from BP. Miles better. I upgraded to a WFF line years ago. I have caught 100’s of bluegill and bass with it as well as the occasional crappie, catfish or carp. It stays in my boat pretty much 24/7 on the deck ready for me to grab.

My salty poles are TFO TiCr-X in 7,8,&9 wt. Fast action and I use a more WF head on them. I need to do quick shots with very little false casting to reach out to fish. It works but ya gotta practice with them to get the timing right. The good thing is that overlining by a weight (9 line on an 8) is just fine when it’s windy. I usually buy a reel and a spare spool for it for that reason. When you practice it’s important to move around to see how wind affects your cast. I hate a quartering tailwind from the right. It messes with my timing and I’ve smacked myself in the head a few times with bonefish fly when I got a little careless. Just part of the fun. (Belgian or oval cast solves it)

18. Member
    Very nice! From reading on other websites the Sword is a pretty good bang for the $. Enjoy them and let us know how it goes. Have fun!

If you have any questions ask away. I’m sure there are fly guys lurking here that could add their expertise.
    Reel arrived today. Nice looking. Crap. It is a 3/4. I ordered a 5/6 reel. So I go on Amazon to check my orders. Dang! I ordered the 3/4. Don't know how I missed that. Now I've got to see if I can get in touch with Piscifun and return this reel for the one I need. Or......buy a 4wt rod, and order the correct reel.

19. Moderator
    Is it a palm drag style? I am not positive but I would think there isn’t much of a difference in them and with the correct line you would probably be ok.

Of course the only correct answer is to keep the reel, buy another rod for it, and order the 5/6!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast