can’t get a top water bite

This is my first year fishing here and I’ve been having decent luck, I think, fishing the lakes within an hour or so drive from Iowa City. However, I can’t get a top water bite. All the lakes have some grass and I’ve used buzz baits and ploppers but have only caught a couple. I haven’t fished the heavy slop, I don’t really like frog fishing. I thought the top water was good here, am I off base on something?

2. Member
    i havnt had a good top water bite for a long time, dont know what the deal is

3. Banned
    It really just depends on the lake you're fishing IMO. I've found that some lakes in Iowa just don't produce a topwater bite no matter how hard you try. I will say that you aren't doing yourself a favor by not throwing a frog. It's arguably the best topwater in Iowa and has produced some monster sacks on certain bodies of water

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Growing up in Iowa in the 70’s and 80’s, I made my living off of throwing buzzbaits with rip rap being the most productive pattern. Definitely an early and late in the day pattern but now should be prime time.

5. Member
    I usually fish mid day to dark , so I get the late bite. This time of year back home in Tennessee, If you fished around grass you’d get at least a few bites on top all during the day. I’ve been fishing Coralville, Mcbide, Belva Deere and Darling. I’m still learning the area, but just find it odd I’m having so much trouble finding a top water bite. ��*♂️

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Might be the fish you are targeting are focused on crayfish this time of year. It would be interesting to see if your top water success is better if you were to get out for an early morning trip. It also might improve as the summer progresses and the water temps start to ease down a bit. I always had some of my best top water fishing in early September not too far west of you.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    I got back from a family ozarks vacation Saturday and skipped church Sunday to fish (shame on me) I got on the water early! I had a good buzz bait bite till mid morning. I use a 1/2oz gold blade with a black toad, no skirt. Also a 3/8 that is a little quieter. I tried a whopper plopper and a spook with no luck. Buzz was the best that day.

Threw a frog for several hours yesterday ( pre-Dawn to 8 AM) not one blow up. Today threw a frog over grass and a lot of slop, one small half hearted blow up. But the worm bite was very good.